PDA

View Full Version : Advice on coolant system pressure test

rob101
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
hey guys,
My 525's been losing alot of coolant lately and I am all out of ideas. I did a heater bypass but that hasn't fixed the problem at all. I've already poked around and couldn't see any obvious leaks, so its time for a pressure test to see if its an leak somewhere outside of the engine (fingers crossed).

I am wondering what pressure does the system get tested to? I've heard that getting a pressure test will make any leak that was there bigger (which is okay) is this true or is it just scare mongering?

and any other random experiences or advice about pressure tests would be appreciated.:D

rob101
11-05-2006, 04:25 PM
PS if hardly anyone replies to this i am going to defect and buy a 300CE-24.
So you have been warned.....

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
PS if hardly anyone replies to this i am going to defect and buy a 300CE-24.
So you have been warned.....

You'll be back

rob101
11-05-2006, 04:31 PM
You'll be back
probably, but i can't really afford to keep giving my car so much coolant :p
plus I am waiting for the day it drops the coolant and stuffs the engine.
anyway, I would like to keep my bimmer for a while longer. which requires me to fix this problem.
do you have any experience with pressure tests bob?

DaveVoorhis
11-05-2006, 04:40 PM
The usual test is 15psi. If it pops something, be glad -- you've probably found what's leaking. :D

Blitzkrieg Bob
11-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Find the leaks by starting on a cold car, fill the reservoir to the max, and let it warm up to operating temp.

squeeze the hoses, they should be pressurized

get a flash light and a dentist's mirror and start looking for a pisser that leaks only under operating temp.

If you are using the BMW blue stuff it leaves a residue at the site if the leak that looks like light blue crust.

Don't forget to checkout satan's water hose

Good luck & happy hunting