PDA

View Full Version : I can't taste my beer!

DoctorZaius
11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
THat's what the characters would exclaim in horror in those humorous TV commercials.

Noob here. Bought my 1st BMW last week, 1995 530i, black/black, ~100K, no mods. I love the car. Liked the more luxury feel/look of the 5s over the 3s, and understood it'd be less "sporty" and make less noise.

Still, I'd like a bit more sound. I can't really hear my car untill I hit 4000 RPM. I can't taste my beer!

I've read the posts here on exhausts till my eyes are red, and I'm still learning. From my notes someone summed it up (here or on another site): "I'm looking for something like a deep, low, mellow, bassy growl....trying to stay away from the open, barking, sharp, farty sound...."

That pretty much sums it up. Oh, that, and I'm only interested in a moderate decibel increase as I'm no longer a young punk (But, man I sure wish I still was, however LOL).

I'm not interested in a straight Resonator delete, as I'm convinced (for my taste in tone/resonance) SOME sort of resonator/dampener (even if it's an X-pipe) is necessary prior to the muffler. I realize there are LOTS of resonator deletes in the forums; it's just not for me. I think we BMW drivers may be nearly as picky in the sound of our car as it's color.

If I'm missing the 'obvious' choice for a 530i...please let me know. I'm pretty much overwhelmed by the different flavors, and pretty bummed out there aren't more sound clips on the net for 530i exhaust upgrades. (dang, seems 90% of the BMW clips are for M3s or the 540i).

Yiorgos
11-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Got cash?

Remus make pretty good exhausts, are pretty expensive though. I think they come from Austria.

This clip is a 525i. I would assume that if you were to install a similar system in your 530i, it would most probably sound just as good, if not better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYEs43NmHg0

SC David
11-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Punch a hole in your exhaust.

angrypancake
11-05-2006, 12:56 AM
open cat!

DoctorZaius
11-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Punch a hole in your exhaust.
Hey, impressionable noob here! Don't say something like that or I just might crawl under there w/a nail & hammer!

Actually, if we take a step back,a deep cleansing breath...and get over the apparent "absurdity" of the suggestion, I am a tad surprised this isn't something tried more often or AT LEAST experimented with and WRITTEN up on the net.

Think about it - there HAS to be a certain size/number/position of holes that would increase sound and not adversely impact Smog testing. Moreover, if one has already decided to drop several hundred on a new exhaust - why the heck not screw around with the old muffler that's likely just going to end up in a landfill anyway?

I'm probably NOT the one to try this experiment as I may end up punching holes in the gastank by mistake, but one of you more experienced dudes should try this out and write it up!

BTW, SC David, dude - what style and SIZE are those rims on your ride in your pic? Style 5? What size? They look real good on your car!

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-05-2006, 12:27 PM
SuperSprint - mellow and a bit louder, but not annoying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/M5%20repair%202005/112-1201_IMG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/M5%20repair%202005/112-1203_IMG.jpg

Montreal525
11-05-2006, 03:25 PM
If it's an automatic, I wouldn't bother. They make performance mufflers sound like a Honda Civic with a fart canon. If your exhaust is good, leave it alone. Get something else if you need to change it. I did when mine crapped out and I hated it and went back to stock. I much prefer my car quiet now... Unless you start modding it and get a manual tranny, keep it stock.

That's my 2 cents...

Jeff

Yiorgos
11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/interalian/M5%20repair%202005/112-1203_IMG.jpg

Looks line someone sat on it on the side in that that pic...

inkstom
11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree, I have a 94 530i and think that "Its a v8 damnit, it should be a little louder."

And why the hell not :D

DoctorZaius
11-05-2006, 09:59 PM
From my notes. Brief (and likely incomplete) Exhaust picture in here

http://www1.eboard.com/boards/15/24/1/doctorzaius/att-1403718/E34_Exhausts.jpg

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Looks line someone sat on it on the side in that that pic...

It's pinched so it will fit, but you knew that...

Yiorgos
11-05-2006, 11:52 PM
It's pinched so it will fit, but you knew that...

Yeah I was only joking...

Denton
11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
You strike me as pretty damn smart. I like these graphs and charts. :)

I'll get a Remus when I can afford it. :)

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Got cash? Remus make pretty good exhausts...

Yes, they are one I am researching. Oddly enough from the summary sheet I posted of the board here, there are only two posters who have a Remus. But what really is troublesome is I can only find vendors selling the "rear exhaust" ($600-700) and commenting that the "front muffler" (resonator I presume?) is sold separately (but not carried).

Huh? Dang, I sure hope I didn't go and buy a BMW model (530i E34) that has piss poor aftermarket support. Time will tell I guess.

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:21 AM
SuperSprint - mellow and a bit louder, but not annoying....
Ah, yes, I see you opted for the whole enchilada; muffler and resonator. I guess y'all call the SS Resonator an "x-pipe" - at least that's what I believe I've seen it posted as.

I see these guys run $500-700 for both the resonator and muffler, and another $100 or so for the "connecting kit". Dang, they aint GIVING these things away, are they!

So you like your SS cat back? Would you do it over again if you could?

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:23 AM
You strike me as pretty damn smart...
Why, cuz I bought a BMW? Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk...

No, I am a lowly noob, still, and just beginning my BMW education. This is a great site for it, too.

This whole exhaust thing is gonna be a tough one to figure out.

Denton
11-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Why, cuz I bought a BMW? Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk...

No, I am a lowly noob, still, and just beginning my BMW education. This is a great site for it, too.

This whole exhaust thing is gonna be a tough one to figure out.

No, because you bought an E34! haha

I like the Remus, but not sure about what exhaust makes the M60 sounds the best. The Magnaflow looks promising.

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:26 AM
open cat!
OK, I give up. I've thought about this all day and searched and googled it. When you mean "open cat" do you mean an "open" cat-back system? You don't mean something naughty like removing the cats do you?

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:30 AM
Triflo for the win!

I had an E34 M5 Triflo I fabbed to fit my 525i (M50) and replaced the OE cat with dual Magnaflow Hi-Flow 2.5" in and out cats. The M5 Triflow is much bigger pipe diameter than others... the thing sounds SICK.

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:30 AM
If it's an automatic, I wouldn't bother...
Jeff
Yes, I understand where you're coming from. It's a 5-spd, actually.

I can't "hear" my M60 unless I red line it, and that just won't do. Of course maybe it just means I need a hearing aid...but then the chicks might not think I'm cool, racing around in a BMW wearing a hearing aid. ;-)

So you see my dilemma.

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:34 AM
I agree, I have a 94 530i and think that "Its a v8 damnit, it should be a little louder." And why the hell not :D
Holy Crap!!! Another 530i owner! I think we're a minority in here!

So, dude...what are you going to do about your sound? Any exhaust plans? It sucks that there aren't more 530i sound files out there to try to figure this all out.

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:36 AM
You guys are weenies!

http://www.blowneuroz.com/mygallery/runningturbo.wav

That's 3" open downpipe recorded on my laptop mic with the laptop on the roof of the car!

For a visual:

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Turbo%20Build/opendownpipe.jpg

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 12:40 AM
...I had an E34 M5 Triflo I fabbed to fit my 525i (M50) and replaced the OE cat with dual Magnaflow Hi-Flow 2.5" in and out cats. The M5 Triflow is much bigger pipe diameter than others... the thing sounds SICK.
Yes, I see in my notes in the comment section your feedback was "Loud as freakin &hit!"

Well, that's cool, man. I'm gonna have to go a tad less extreme; Ah, if it were only the 'good ol days' again...

So, I had a question here in my notes about your set up - you went with the resonator delete solution? Dang, hi-flow cats, no resonator, AND a LARGER TriFlo...holy crap...that thang must blow out windows for blocks!

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:56 AM
DoctorZaius - that was back when supercharged.

Now that I am turbo I run a straight 3" pipe off the turbo with NO cats and NO resonators and a glass pack race muffler 3" in and 3" out. Its essentially straight piped. It's louder yes.

Yiorgos
11-06-2006, 01:03 AM
the chicks might not think I'm cool, racing around in a BMW wearing a hearing aid

Get one of those horns from the 1800s

http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/corbis/DGT348/OYF0062.jpg

CharlesAFerg
11-06-2006, 02:46 AM
So is it the resonator that gives our 525s that sweet deep purr? Explain what the resonator upgrade sounds like...

Now that I am turbo I run a straight 3" pipe off the turbo with NO cats and NO resonators and a glass pack race muffler 3" in and 3" out. Its essentially straight piped. It's louder yes.

I can't stand that sound, ton's of my friends have turbo'd Volksies and they sound like ass. Theres also a lot of 240SXs in that same league. Maybe they have just ruined it for me... I'm going to watch your video now though...

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Ah, yes, I see you opted for the whole enchilada; muffler and resonator. I guess y'all call the SS Resonator an "x-pipe" - at least that's what I believe I've seen it posted as.

I see these guys run $500-700 for both the resonator and muffler, and another $100 or so for the "connecting kit". Dang, they aint GIVING these things away, are they!

So you like your SS cat back? Would you do it over again if you could?

Actually cost ~$1600CDN. Yes, I'd do it again. Next step is to do a Gale cat replacement.:D

Antrieb
11-06-2006, 10:42 AM
I also have a 530 and I will be making a custom Magnaflow system for my car. I agree with you on how quiet they are :)

DoctorZaius
11-06-2006, 10:26 PM
I guess I could start another thread but I didnt want to clog up the board so I'll ask in this one:

1) Does anyone know if Stromung exhausts fit on an E34? (I didnt see it in my list I posted above)

2) There are member examples of the following three combos:
a) Supersprint Muffler, Stock Resonator
b) Supersprint Muffler, Resonator delete
c) Supersprint Muffler, Supersprint Resonator

Has anyone had the (admittedly unusual) opportunity to listen/compare all three on the same engine type????

Digita1 Ecstasy
11-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Huh? Dang, I sure hope I didn't go and buy a BMW model (530i E34) that has piss poor aftermarket support. Time will tell I guess.

Yep, you did.

There isn't much out there besides the basic bolt ons.

The market is more for E30 E36/46

DoctorZaius
11-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I'll tack on another (bonus) question:

Was Eberspaecher the original Vendor for the BWM 5 Series Resonators? I am just guessing here.

AND,

Was Boysen the Original vendor for mufflers?

Boone.Msi
12-26-2006, 01:31 AM
I had to revive this one

Did you go through with a purchase or a final decisioin?
I hope you got the remus as number 1 still.

I originally planned on magnaflow since its cheap and loud, but i cant stand the popping thats asociated with them. yes i know its from less backpressure but the remus and eissenman dont have that goin on. I like the steady purr of the down rev, not the crackle pop. heres some examples from a search

http://www.dinan540.com/MEDIA/media.html

At the bottom, comparisons

i know its not a 530i, but it should be simmilar right?