PDA

View Full Version : grinding sound when coasting in gear

BigTed00
11-04-2006, 09:49 PM
this has been driving me nuts ever since i took her home back in the day. When I'm coasting in gear (no pressure applied to gas pedal) there is a loud whirring/grinding noise. When I'm coasting in neutral or with even slight pressure on the gas this noise isnt apparent. Any ideas? It seems much worse now thats its finally cold here

Robin-535im
11-05-2006, 06:13 PM
this has been driving me nuts ever since i took her home back in the day. When I'm coasting in gear (no pressure applied to gas pedal) there is a loud whirring/grinding noise. When I'm coasting in neutral or with even slight pressure on the gas this noise isnt apparent. Any ideas? It seems much worse now thats its finally cold here
Worn diff is my guess. Make sure the right oil is in there and the right level. In my limited experience, rear ends can be noisy for a long time before they break, and some noise is normal.

When in gear and no gas applied, the wheels are driving the drive train and you hear the noise from the final drive, even if you're in gear w/ the clutch depressed you should still hear it.

Bright side: may be the excuse you need to upgrade to a better diff.

632 Regal
11-05-2006, 06:24 PM
could also be the center drifeshaft bearing. Time to inspect.

Kalevera
11-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Drain the rear end and see if it dumps any metal filings. You may also want to get a magnet on a stick and run it up towards the pinion, pull it out and see what you've got.

Johntee540
11-06-2006, 08:14 AM
What about rear wheel bearings? I had the same issue - replaced the Rear Wheel Bearings and it went away - JT

bsell
11-07-2006, 05:25 AM

If the noise only appears during coast situations, where the rear wheels, diff and trans are driving the engine, I am inclined to say you have diff or rear trans bearing problems. If you had center driveshaft bearing problems, it would tend to talk to you all of the time but give it a look see either way.

You haven't been jerking second gear to squeel the tires have you? ;) This causes a 'hammering' situation on the rear trans bearing, which dents the bearing race, causing a nasty racket (and an emptier wallet to replace the bearing). :( By the way, I wouldn't know anything about this personally.;)

As bad as the above is, it is much cheaper to fix a bad rear trans bearing than a bad ring and pinion gear or bad pinion bearing in the differential (another symptom of jerking shifts). Trust this level of repair to only the best. Setting up a ring and pinion takes knowledge and patience. Done wrong, you have trashed the ring and pinion set which makes my wallet wince just thinking about it.

I doubt bad wheel bearings would cause this but should be easy to verify. With the car at speed on an empty road and coasting in neutral, load each side in turn by weaving back and forth to shift the cars weight from right side to left and back again. The idea is to add weight to the rear wheel bearings one side at a time to make them 'talk' louder. If this 'loading' has no effect on the noise, your bearings are solid. If one side talks loader than the other, time for some wheel bearings or tires if they are cupped from a less-than-stellar alignment.

Good luck,

Brian

BigTed00
01-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the great reply. While it doest seem like wheel bearings ATM, at 188k miles on original bearings I wouldn't be surprised.

Can anyone elaborate on the rear transmission bearing failure? I did a search of the forums but couldn't find anything. It may be a differential issue, but who knows

angrypancake
01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
check your driveshaft, ds center bearings and such. i had a very similar problem and it ended up needed a new driveshaft. manual swap time.