PDA

View Full Version : We made the Roundel

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I've received my November Roundel Magazine and the Midwest E34 Meet made the press. On page 88 is the article that JR wrote. Awsome. I'll take some pics/scan and post them. Three pages on just us, who'd would a thought! Great job to the organizers particularly Brandon and Scott. Who, at this time are likely all covered with subframe dirt (another story).

AWSOME JOB JR.

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-04-2006, 09:18 PM
My scanner happens to be broke, but here's a pic of the start of the article.

http://www.bimmernut.com/ed/picnic.jpg

Macv
11-04-2006, 09:20 PM
OMG I cannot believe I decided not to go this year. :(

I'll be there next.

Gayle and E34 530 (second page) are the only ones I can make out.

EDIT: Oh yes, Qube and I believe Jehu

Rigmaster
11-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I got my copy today and was really pleased to see such good coverage of an "old" car event...

Looks like our resident hottie (I mean that in a good way and with utmost respect..) Gayle is on the far left in that pic, not sure who all the others are- but I think a similar pic was posted on this board after the event that ID'ed them...

Bret.

632 Regal
11-04-2006, 09:29 PM
charles (daycoyote) is second from the right.

MTechnik540i
11-04-2006, 09:33 PM
I've received my November Roundel Magazine and the Midwest E34 Meet made the press. On page 88 is the article that JR wrote. Awsome. I'll take some pics/scan and post them. Three pages on just us, who'd would a thought! Great job to the organizers particularly Brandon and Scott. Who, at this time are likely all covered with subframe dirt (another story).

AWSOME JOB JR.

VERY NICE!!

Still awaiting my Roundel. Somebody scan!

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-04-2006, 09:34 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/ed/one.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/ed/two.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/ed/thre.jpg

Sorry about quality, scanner broke!

Jehu
11-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Wow, Gayle's pretty tall huh... :)

SC David
11-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Man, that's awesome! I'm jealous of you guys. Us west coasters gotta find a way to one up you!

Thayne
11-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Thats awesome! :D

trumpetr
11-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Awesome,,,,havent got the Nov. Roundel yet,but I cant wait to see. Its been a long time since there has been much on E34's, in the Roundel. Well done, to all that organized the meet and bringing it to Roundels attention.

Derek A.
11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Can someone razor cut the pages out of their Roundel and scan em flat ?

Fetch
11-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Awesome guys!
If I had found this site 1 month earlier I would have been there!
I will for sure be there next time around!!

Qube
11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Neat stuff! I ordered one now.

azale
11-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Great pictures.

I'm second from the left on the first page of the article, standing between Gayle and BimmerNutEd.

I didn't think the article would look so good or take up so much space but I should've thought better of JR. One look at his "Cleanest" M5 and you know he takes prinde in what he does.

Triton540i
11-06-2006, 03:14 AM
Hey Everyone,

Here's the link to my posting in my group's forum, it has the pages I removed (not so well) from the Roundel. I also have a link at the bottom of the posting of many more pictures from that trip too!

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/273277

I had a lot of fun with all of those who attended the gathering in Chicago. I'm terrible with names, but regardless of that fact... all of you have made my experience in owning a BMW so much more than just a car... it's like having an extended family!

Enjoy!
-Eric

Qube
11-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Just order an issue. Give them a call... it's worth the $4!

ILoveMPower
11-06-2006, 09:12 AM
!!!

Amazing! Hope to be there for next year!

EDIT: Where can I order this?

Qube
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.bmwcca.org

E34 530
11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
sweet. Once again many thanks to Scott, Brandon, Ed, Greg, JR, etc. for helping me out that weekend. Can't wait for next years, hopefully my car will be repainted by then.

e39dream
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
kick ass! Someday I'll get an e34 too:)

Atl530i
11-06-2006, 08:40 PM
I wish I could have made it. I'll make it to the next one. I just got my issue today. All those E34s together are awesome.

paul p (chi-town)
11-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Kudos to JR, Brandon, Scott and Ed.
It's not just bout the metal, it becomes blood.

BTW, was good to see all of y'all again.

”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
94 BMW 530iT&A 125K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale *sniff* )
92 BMW 325i 125K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaack *whoohoo* hers *sigh* )
91 Volvo 745T 191K, ‘Thor’ ( 13 psi *smirk* no power steering *grunt* )
93 Datsun NX2000 160K ‘Carla’ ( alive & thumpin *uNfff!* )
85 Toyoda MR2 123K ‘Jerry’ ( so fresh and so clean, clean *grin* )
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin.

shragon
11-07-2006, 01:52 PM
awesome!

Sean H
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Fantastic. Wish I was there.

ThoreauHD
11-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Very cool. I haven't checked my mail yet. bmwcca does come in handy.

Paul in NZ
11-08-2006, 12:50 AM
I hope BMWNA and BMW AG realise there are many BMW famatics all over the worls!!!.Any one want toorder a roundel for me???I will fix you up somehow.I have paypal!

genphreak
11-08-2006, 05:27 AM
I hope BMWNA and BMW AG realise there are many BMW famatics all over the worls!!!.Any one want toorder a roundel for me???I will fix you up somehow.I have paypal!There is far less local content for the BMW media in this part of the world... perhaps we should fix that like these guys have. Its a class effort that meet- very nice work people, hats off from us lot down under!!

genphreak
11-08-2006, 05:47 AM
I've received my November Roundel Magazine and the Midwest E34 Meet made the press. On page 88 is the article that JR wrote. Awsome. I'll take some pics/scan and post them. Three pages on just us, who'd would a thought! Great job to the organizers particularly Brandon and Scott. Who, at this time are likely all covered with subframe dirt (another story). AWSOME JOB JR.Well I read the articles even though the shoot job was a little wavey... that was a class write-up, no wonder they splashed it over several pages.

Interesting to note though, there is no time spent on the cars- it is more about the group and the meet. I guess its not in Roundel's interest to encourage interest in the older models.. or do they really think us e34 nuts are exactly that... Nuts?

What do you think Mr BimmerNut Ed?

dacoyote
11-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow... the worse shape winner made it in the picture....

632 Regal
11-08-2006, 09:05 PM
mine didnt and i detailed the *hit outta it, is JRs in there somewhere? Next years will have the 8, am i disqualified?

Wow... the worse shape winner made it in the picture....

Gayle
11-08-2006, 11:26 PM
mine didnt and i detailed the *hit outta it, is JRs in there somewhere? Next years will have the 8, am i disqualified?
Yes You are disqualified. Hasn' anyone told you-you are no longer a mod here. Time to turn in the badge Sheriff.

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Dono freak, not really sure what the Roundel's intentions are. I've no specific insight. Jr though says that they want to do mor SIG articles, so I kinda think the focus is on the group instead of the cars cause of that.

Either way, it's great to be published!

or do they really think us e34 nuts are exactly that... Nuts?

What do you think Mr BimmerNut Ed?

dacoyote
11-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Chances are good I will be there in the Passat unless I can find another worse shape winner between now and then

pawswish
11-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Yeah... dynamite article and that's how I found you guys. I'm new to this... don't know how to start a thread, etc., BUT am hoping someone out there can save my 1989 535i from the crusher.... HELP!!!

Prior to the issue with the blown radiator hose, even with 300,000 miles (all long run stuff) she ran like the day she left the factory. Now there are coolant issues... maybe a blown head gasket or warped head. If I de- pressurize the system I can drive just fine, but I'm too old to be messing with this stuff... and I know all about the bleeding challenges. With black on black, interior is perfect, seats work fine including heaters (no funky seatback issues) new gas strut inserts and gas shocks 5K miles ago, perfect gearbox although a tad stiff in cold weather due to Redline oil. What doesn't work? A/C, speedometer... that's about it. Light timing chain noise but that's to be expected at this mileage and some light rust.
I'm in southeast Wisconsin and will be donating the car to the Boy's Ranch if there are no takers, probably in a week or two. I think it's worth $500. Any takers? Please... she doesn't deserve to die this soon.

Thanks.

Pawswish

pawswish
11-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks... just did. Maybe the" new thread" button took some time to get setup, but I admit I'm a dinosaur.

BMWCCA1
11-12-2006, 05:25 PM
If someone here has the ability to host it, I'm happy to provide a PDF of the Roundel article in page-form, with addressable text. I don't see a way to post it here but I can make it small so it won't take much bandwidth but will still be readable on the Web. Just let me know by reply or PM.

Jr ///M5
11-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Sure hope my Roundel arrives tomorrow....I haven't seen the article in print yet, just been waiting patiently. I did call BMWCCA Headquarters and order a couple extra copies so I could frame them. :D

JR

Jehu
11-12-2006, 05:42 PM
If someone here has the ability to host it, I'm happy to provide a PDF of the Roundel article in page-form, with addressable text. I don't see a way to post it here but I can make it small so it won't take much bandwidth but will still be readable on the Web. Just let me know by reply or PM. sure ,email it to me.

BMWCCA1
11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/RoundelE34SIG_Page_1.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/RoundelE34SIG_Page_2.jpg

Qube
11-12-2006, 09:21 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/RoundelE34SIG_Page_1.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c378/BMWCCA1/RoundelE34SIG_Page_2.jpg

Thanks to Phil (BMWCCA1), I've been able to host it here:
http://www.jasonlau.ca/bmw/Roundel_E34_SIG.pdf
That one is the real deal, with the double-page spread.

With the permission of Phil, I also made a version whereby the pages are 8.5x11 with 3 in total, which is a bit printer friendly...
http://www.jasonlau.ca/bmw/Roundel_E34_SIG_REORG.pdf

Enjoy!

Jr ///M5
11-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks for posting the article Qube, my Roundel must have been taken hostage as it still hasn't arrived...

But there is something to notice in the group photo...

Did anybody notice that there were exactly *34* people in the group shot....(twilight zone music plays in the background)

Really, what's the chances of that happening? Rather cool though....

Thanks again,
JR

Jay 535i
11-14-2006, 04:07 PM
If you call the BMW CCA at 1 864 250 0022 and tell them you and your car were pictured, they'll send you a free copy.

With the group shots, everyone who attended was pictured.

Qube
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
If you call the BMW CCA at 1 864 250 0022 and tell them you and your car were pictured, they'll send you a free copy.

With the group shots, everyone who attended was pictured.

Wow! I was just going to post... I paid $4 USD for it... well worth the price. Why post? The postage ITSELF was $3.99 USD! Sure, they can be charitable and give them away at a loss, but at $4 which basically only covers shipping, I'd glady buy another :)

I'll post higher res scans descreened when I can.

Qube
11-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Images update: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=27759

They will be incorporated into this thread shortly.

paul p (chi-town)
11-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for posting the article Qube, my Roundel must have been taken hostage as it still hasn't arrived...
But there is something to notice in the group photo...(twilight zone music plays in the background)
Thanks again,
JR
Hang in there JR. Mine came yesterday. Can't believe they didn't send you an advance copy.
Yeah pretty spooky with the group shot, like when all the hoods dropping when the wind picked up. It's funny that you can't see me in the car panorama since i didn't have to hold mine up (c'mon guys, $30 w/ shipping and less than 5 minute install). Not having your car always trying to hurt you is a good thing.

Thanks Q, held me over for a few days

”Hang up & Drive!”

pmlmotorsports
11-17-2006, 12:21 AM
I shoud've went..........:-(

ron_va
11-17-2006, 09:30 AM

But there is something to notice in the group photo...

Did anybody notice that there were exactly *34* people in the group shot....(twilight zone music plays in the background)

Really, what's the chances of that happening? Rather cool though....

Thanks again,
JR

Hey Jr,
I got my issue last week and without even checking the author, i knew you were probably one of the organizers. Congrats--looks like it was a great event. It really made me a little misty thinking i should have kept my e34. My youngest son misses the "old BMW" because he has to ride in the back seat of the e39 due to the pass side airbag. I kinda miss the weekend tinkering the e34 provided. Love my e39, but it definitely requires less, so now i'm looking for my next "project"...probably another e34 since i still seem to be finding spare parts and maintenance items in my garage.
Great article, but I was a little disappointed you didn't give the gas tank R&R the traditional "number of beers to repair" rating! ;o)

Good to hear from you again--any chances of doing an e39 meet? Or maybe i'll make next year's e34 meet with my new project. Happy holidays to you and your family!

Ron

Jr ///M5
11-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Ron,

You've been one of the most influential people that ever crossed my path. I remember back in the Roadfly days that you gave me assistance installing a CD player in my 535i. (I still have the printout of that install)... That was way back in 1998, remember then?....you're right, I completely missed the "number of beers to repair" rating....and just for your sake, we measured the beer in cases.....;) now that you mention it, we lost count....but I can assure you, we had a blast!

Find another E34........make plans for a roadtrip to the Midwest in the summertime...fix the wipers, and we'll help with the rest.

Your longtime friend,

JR

ron_va
11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Ron,

You've been one of the most influential people that ever crossed my path. I remember back in the Roadfly days that you gave me assistance installing a CD player in my 535i. (I still have the printout of that install)... That was way back in 1998, remember then?....you're right, I completely missed the "number of beers to repair" rating....and just for your sake, we measured the beer in cases.....;) now that you mention it, we lost count....but I can assure you, we had a blast!

Find another E34........make plans for a roadtrip to the Midwest in the summertime...fix the wipers, and we'll help with the rest.

Your longtime friend,

JR

Jr,
Time flies--wasn't sure if you would even remember the "beer rating." I was guessing it was only about 5 yrs ago, burned that brain cell somewhere i guess. I still surf over to Roadfly occasionally for my e39, but that group just isn't the same as our old e34 forum. Lots of perf upgrades and 4-figure mods that i'm just not into.
So where are you in the Roundel pic? If i remember right, you have a silver M5, but wasn't sure if you're still running the cross-spokes or the throwing stars.
I'm definitely looking for another e34, that's why i'm lurking over here and just joined. It would be a 3rd car to leave the guzzler SUV parked more often, and of course a great excuse to drink beer in the garage :o) The wife likes the Touring, but i'm afraid of the dual $sunroof i$$ues. Funny you mentioned the wipers--did you guys as a group ever figure out how to keep the e34 pass side wiper from grinding a groove in the hood (smile)? Aaah, i miss the little e34 "features."

I'll keep you posted if i find anything, and can get it up to the req'd standards in time for next year's meet. Happy Holidays to you and your family!
ron

peete
11-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I figure this is a good place for my first post since I found this board from that article. It just so happens I let my CCA membership expire and I grabbed my brother's Roundel from his garbage can.

I own and the wife drives our '95 525iT that was a hand me down from my parents after they purchased their 2nd e39. The car is stock and in excellent condition.

Anyway, I would love to attend next year's e34 meet but Chicago is a little too far.

BMWCCA1
11-28-2006, 04:03 PM
You can now find the PDF for the article on the BMW CCA website: here. (http://www.bmwcca.org/files/roundel/2006/SIGnifying-Plenty-November2006.pdf) This is a link from the Roundel "current issue" table of contents and should take you to a public area even if you're not a member, but let me know if you have any problem with it. Hopefully this will pull in some E34 fans who aren't on this list already.