PDA

View Full Version : 535iM Flywheel lightening.

kxmills
11-04-2006, 05:35 PM
What are the advantages or disadvantages of a lightened flywheel? What is the cost? Where are the sources for parts?

bfd
11-04-2006, 05:50 PM
What are the advantages or disadvantages of a lightened flywheel? What is the cost? Where are the sources for parts?

One option for the E34 535i is to replace the dual mass flywheel with a standard single mass E28 or E12 flywheel. You can find one used at a junkyard, its lighter (8-12lbs) and easy to install. I believe you'll need the E28 clutch kit and E28 flywheel bolts. Do a search or maybe others can comment on what else you may need. Good Luck!

winfred
11-04-2006, 07:41 PM
that's about the cheapest and easyest option, going aftermarket light weight flywheel can get close to a grand by time you get a clutch

One option for the E34 535i is to replace the dual mass flywheel with a standard single mass E28 or E12 flywheel. You can find one used at a junkyard, its lighter (8-12lbs) and easy to install. I believe you'll need the E28 clutch kit and E28 flywheel bolts. Do a search or maybe others can comment on what else you may need. Good Luck!