PDA

View Full Version : Touring question

gtopaul
11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Does anyone have the rear seats with the built in netting that extends to the roof? Just bought an extra set of back seats and they came with this feature. Unfortunately they didn't come with the roof hooks to keep the netting extended. Realoem lists front and back hooks like maybe they can go up in a couple of different locations. Just wondering if anyone has the netting and can tell me which hooks to buy and where they're located.

Thanks.

Paul

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=51_2066&hg=51&fg=60

Rigmaster
11-04-2006, 06:28 PM
There are 2 sets of hooks, you install them in pairs in 2 different locations. They go along the sides of the roof- in the headliner, there are threaded holes in the roof behind the headliner for the screws to hold the hooks.

Basically, one set is installed so the nets go straight up, the other so the nets are at an angle (when viewed from the side of the car...).

Bret.

gtopaul
11-04-2006, 07:45 PM
There are 2 sets of hooks, you install them in pairs in 2 different locations. They go along the sides of the roof- in the headliner, there are threaded holes in the roof behind the headliner for the screws to hold the hooks.

Basically, one set is installed so the nets go straight up, the other so the nets are at an angle (when viewed from the side of the car...).

Bret.

Thanks for the info. I'll need to find a template to figure out where the holes are located? Just feeling around the sides of the headliner I can't find any indentations like they might be holes underneath or something. The guy I bought the seats off is going to check on the hooks Monday so maybe I can get him to measure for a point of reference. Did you see what those things cost in Realoem? I got the complete backseat setup, the side pieces, and the netting pieces for $100. Not too bad.

Thanks again.

Paul

Don McAdams
11-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Paul-

I added these as well on my Touring. I carefully peeled back the headliner enough to get my finger into to locate the threaded hole in the sheet metal (removed the D pillar trim + interior window weatherstrip). Used an exacto razor w/ a new blade & *carefully* trimmed a small hole to start the phillips screw in the center of the "hook". Once you get the screw started (there's a pre-existing hole behind headliner), it will leave a light outline/ trace of where to trim. Just make sure to cut once! :p

I have a front (new in the bag) hook, drivers side. If you have Pergament (tan) interior, that I accidetially ordered doubles of. If you need it, I'll give you a deal on it!

$100 is pretty good! That is a $1200 option (just the 2 nets!), FWIR, I paid $225 or so- Nice feature to have.... E-mail if you need any help with the install- E30M3TheRealM3 (AT) aol.com

attack eagle
11-04-2006, 08:45 PM
yes i have them, and I have only thus far used them with the seats in the upright position, but the front set are for use with the rear seat folded flat.

They aren't intended to be used to put the net at an angle...

IF you need measurements I'd be glad to go measure them, but I'd try looking under the headliner first.

ON a side note, you ever feel like you are in trouble (ie in a squad car) when they are up and you look in the mirror?

gtopaul
11-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the response!

Paul