PDA

View Full Version : Promising iPod solution

wires12
11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
The folks at Neo Car Audio have a very nice iPod adapter for factory radios. A small adapter connects to the trunk CD connector on the back of the radio and allows control of the iPod via the radio. Pricing is in the $200 range.

It is available for 5 series models from 1997.

My interest is in getting one for my 1992 525. I would hope there are others here who have the same desire. If so please follow the link below and get on the waiting list. A good response could motivate availability...

http://www.neocaraudio.com/advanced_search_result.php?set_vehicle=1&sort=4d&select_vehicle_make=3&select_vehicle_model=122&select_vehicle_year=1992

I have no connection to the company. I just want to hook up my iPod and I don't want to give up my old fashoned radio with a volume knob, diversity antennas and understated lighting.

wingman
11-04-2006, 01:07 AM
aahhhh the ipod dilema... I'm in the process of making a holder so my ipod (30gb gen 5) will sit in the console. I've got spare headliner material that I'm covering it with but so far it looks like shite. I'm quite happy with the Kmart cassette adaptor to the original anti-theft radio/cassette I just hate the ipod sliding around when I hit 4g in the corners.

CharlesAFerg
11-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Ew. Get an archos with a guarantee or something.... Even with an extended warrany it's less expensive than an Ipod... Besides, they're so much more open ended and less restrictive.

wires12
11-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Ew. Get an archos with a guarantee or something.... Even with an extended warrany it's less expensive than an Ipod... Besides, they're so much more open ended and less restrictive.

Each to his own but...

What good is a guarantee on a product you don't want and costs MORE? I got a 30G Video iPod directly from Apple for $190 delivered with tax. Any Archos product with that much capacity costs at least $100 more. Besides there is NO ecosystem for any other portable music product like the iPod.

I have yet to use iTunes with my iPod. There are plenty of alternatives.

aabdelhamid
11-05-2006, 08:20 AM
it broadcasts the ipod on a selectable FM frequency. Very nice but needs to be controlled from the ipod and not through the radio though. But quite a good and CLEAN connection. The cable is a shitty solution my wife has it on her Mercedes B-Class and very annoying.

VentoGT
11-06-2006, 01:04 PM
The FM Modulator blows too...The only correct way to get an iPod to sound the way it should is with a hardwire solution.

steve0suprem0
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
i got a cassette adapter that actually controls the ipod. 25 bucks from target. i think it's made by griffin, i'll check at my next break.

anyway, i pulled out the ashtray, removed the shiny top part and replaced. now all i do is wind up the cord, slip in the ipod, and shut the ashtray. all you see is about four inches of white wire.

the controls are decent, hit the > button twice to skip to the next song. i'd read complaints, but i have none.

ideally, though, would be an oem stereo that will actually control AND display the ipod info. dunno if that'll happen, tho. considering a mkiv vw stereo, but i dunno if i even wanna hassle with it.

mzarifkar
11-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I used the "belt clip" put it where the empty slot is next to the fog switch, then hid the cassette adapter wire behind the trip and voila.

gmannino
11-06-2006, 07:53 PM
I dont recall any Ipod controlling devices from any manufacturer that will work with 95 and older radio's. I am an authorized vendor for Peripheral, Pie, Pac, Axxess and many other brands and I dont have any ipod or even aux audio inputs for 95 and older radio's. Best to double check with that company to verify that they have tested their product in a e34 radio.

wires12
11-07-2006, 12:58 AM
I dont recall any Ipod controlling devices from any manufacturer that will work with 95 and older radio's.

That is the point of the original posting.

Neo has an adapter for later models and depending on interest they can add firmware/cable to support earlier models. It shouldn't be hard but they are not going to do it without some indication they can sell them.

I posted the link to try to drum up some interest in a hardwire product that is superior to any sort of cassette/fm modulator adapter hack.

I looked at "Peripheral, Pie, Pac, Axxess and many other brands" but they did not seem to be interested in customer feedback and/or they were not in active development.

If you click the link this is what it says:

The Products that work with your 1992 BMW 5-Series/M5

Coming Soon
Click here to be added our waiting list. We use popular demand to decide for which vehicles and products to develop, so be sure to sign up to let us know you're interested. We will be able to notify you when this product becomes available.

Put in a valid email address and see if these people will do what the others have not.

angrypancake
11-07-2006, 01:34 AM
what about IceLink? I hooked one up in my dad's e39 528, install took about uhhhh 5 minutes. it works by bypassing the 6 disc changer feed, and is therefore hardwired. I'm thinking of testing one in the 535.

gmannino
11-07-2006, 04:51 AM
Interested in seeing some results!

Elekta
11-07-2006, 08:02 AM
I use velcro. One square on the emergency brake, the other on the ipod. I have an eq in the glove box with an aux input that keeps me hard wired.

Are you saying that tapping into the rear cable (what goes to the pioneer cd changer) brings up tune selections in your intrument panel?

steve0suprem0
11-08-2006, 11:45 AM
so yeah, it's the smart deck made by griffin.

Kamil
11-08-2006, 12:40 PM
For a good (non-FM) connection I think blitzsafe make an aux-input connector that uses the OEM CD-changer connection.
http://www.blitzsafe.com/blitz_catalog/blitz_aux/blitz_aux_list/blitz_bmw/blitz_bmw.html

For mounting, pro-fit makes nice mounts and they have an E34 specific one that installs on the side of the HU; I have used their brackets before and I highly recommend:
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/BM-51-89.pdf

New bimmers are so cool in this regard... in the E46 I got a '03 HU, added OEM aux-input for ipod, and I have the OEM sirius receiver in the trunk connected using OEM CD-changer wiring (I can add a changer too, but why?).

There an "easy" way of retrofiting the OEM navi system too, but at around $1400 I won't be doing it, which can also be converted to TV and DVD players, all with OEM like precision. Bluetooth retrofits in these cars have been done too, but I can't justify the expanse of $700 or something crazy like that.

I hope the above helps.

Chipper
11-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I know it doesn't really answer the original question but after much playing about and researching an iPod solution for my 95 525T I went for the Pioneer combo below

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-DEH-P4800MP-CD-MP3-W-CD-IB100II-IPOD-ADAPT_W0QQitemZ280046170009QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3975 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Got the pair for 125GBP and fitted the iPod unit behind the pull down cubby hole on the drivers kick panel, just cut a small hole in the back of it and keep the iPod in there, all control is done via the HU and the HU uses ISO connections so a nice easy fit, took me about 45 minutes all up.

The control of the iPod is not great but it works and it display the first 8 characters of the Album/Track on the HU, more expensive pioneer HU's offer 16 characters and scrolling, the sound quality is very good, knocks spots of the previously installed (and more expensive) Sony

nixter
11-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a head unit with an Aux in mini plug. I just plug my nano into that and drop it in the cup holder.

Kamil
11-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I have a head unit with an Aux in mini plug. I just plug my nano into that and drop it in the cup holder.

YOU HAVE A CUP HOLDER!!???

*faints*

:p

nixter
11-08-2006, 03:37 PM
this one. Doesn't hold anything bigger than a can but it's better than nothing.

steve0suprem0
11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
man, i'll slap the **** outta anybody who tries to climb aboard my car with a drink or *gasp* food.

EFF THAT.

nixter
11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
It's probably an age thing. If I was still a kid I wouldn't let my punk ass friends eat/drink in my car either. With age, your friends get a little more responsible, hopefully.

n