PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Gas tank - Quick fix?

White535Mtl
11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Any ideas?
It's been dripping from the bottom portion a drop at a time. It looks to me like i has been fixed poorly and now leaking again. This I've noticed because the exhaust section has been bent in, so the previous owner must've hit something like a sidewalk and scraped the gas tank.

Now a jobber costs 400CDN. I can't afford a brand new tank right now, so any tips on a fix I can get temporarily for a few months?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Fred.

Ross
11-03-2006, 10:43 AM
If it's just a pinhole rub a bar of soap over it. Certainly temporary but usually effective, until wet anyway.

ryan roopnarine
11-03-2006, 10:58 AM
if you can see the hole, why not purchase one of the numerous gas tank repair epoxies/kits from an autoparts store? i'm pretty sure that somewhere like canadian tire would have to carry things of that nature if a parts store is unavailable. truckstops would certainly have things like that if you really are out in the middle of nowhere.

Ferret
11-03-2006, 11:01 AM
There's a couple of companies that do fuel-resistant hardening putty - you can mould a piece into your tank's hole and it'll set on an almost permenant basis. Usually lasts for a few years.

bahnstormer
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
i got the fuel as low as possible, lifted teh car
i loosened one side of the tank (where my leak was)
so that the fuel was away from the hole then i used
jb weld and it hasnt leaked again for the last 2 years

E34 530
11-03-2006, 12:25 PM
JB quickweld, ask me how I know. :p