PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to use Drive with manual switch (auto transmission)?

brick8
11-03-2006, 09:14 AM
I am still trying to get accustomed to the auto transmission in my new to me 1992 525it (I usually drive a 5 speed). Anyhow, last night I found some open road and started experimenting with the a/m switch on the transmission. I was going somewhat over (won't say how much :) over)the limit in M D when the transmission program --check owner's manual light came on. Didn't really notice any difference in driveability but I did shift it back to E D. Went home, turned off the car (pushed in the check light button to make the warning go out). Re-read the manual, looked in my Bentley and couldn't find anything wrong about driving in M D, but I won't do it again. Did I mess up the tranny? Drove the car this morning about 15 miles in E D and S3 and the light did not come back on. Will try to check the fluid (if this car has a dipstick) this weekend to see if there is a problem.

Fetch
11-03-2006, 10:15 AM
The way I understand it is people frown upon using the M mode for shifting the car as a manual transmission. I don't know if there is solid evidence this is bad, somebody else might know.

I do know I was so afraid of the automatic transmission in my last BMW that I rarely even put it in S3!!! lol

Good Luck

ryan roopnarine
11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
if you are in the US, IIRC the autotrans on your car is restricted to ~120 mph in 3rd gear (the gear you'd be in if you were in S or M). i don't know the specifics of how fast you were driving, only you would know if the reason for the fault is this possibility.

JerseySi
11-03-2006, 11:02 AM
I drive mine in manual mode 95% of the time! :s :D
Never had any problems or any Trans Prog issues (yet - **touches wood**)

SnakeyesTx
11-03-2006, 12:11 PM
No dipstick. Crazy huh?

Typically you don't manually shift an automatic because the valve-body isn't made to handle the extra fluid pressures involved. Since we have the "S" option, I'm assuming there is an electronic device that alleviates this worry.

Also, as far as I know, the "M" mode is a method of leaving the transmission in the gear you specify, which is more like a towing or acend/decend kind of thing not exactly manually shifting, like "S" mode.

swenpro
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
And doesn't M mode restrict you from using 1st gear, instead starting from rest in 2nd gear?

Incantation
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
yup you're ok. it will wear the tranny out quicker, but not by much (like 5% sooner). it really depends how you shift though.. the farther off you are from mating the engine rpm between gears, the sooner it will wear. for example shifting from 2nd to 3rd at 2k rpm is a lot better than downshifting from 3rd at 4000 rpm to 1st (if the computer would even let you do that)

Incantation
11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
k should include that i DO know that you can't do this in all cars as i ruined a fwd tranny in a saab i used to own. cost me 4500 to fix. :\ i triple checked that it's ok with the e34

granit_silber
11-03-2006, 04:53 PM
I am still trying to get accustomed to the auto transmission in my new to me 1992 525it (I usually drive a 5 speed). Anyhow, last night I found some open road and started experimenting with the a/m switch on the transmission. I was going somewhat over (won't say how much :) over)the limit in M D when the transmission program --check owner's manual light came on. Didn't really notice any difference in driveability but I did shift it back to E D. Went home, turned off the car (pushed in the check light button to make the warning go out). Re-read the manual, looked in my Bentley and couldn't find anything wrong about driving in M D, but I won't do it again. Did I mess up the tranny? Drove the car this morning about 15 miles in E D and S3 and the light did not come back on. Will try to check the fluid (if this car has a dipstick) this weekend to see if there is a problem.

Brick,

I had heard that you don't use "M" and "D" together. Like Incantation said shifting the car manually is okay, but I guess that means your highest gear is 3. Personally, once the car and tranny are warmed up I really like driving in the "S" mode.
-ashley

brick8
11-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Interesting comment about liking S3 after the car warms up. I have noticed that my car shifts kind of late for the first few minutes when it is real cold outside. Is this what you meant?

attack eagle
11-03-2006, 05:09 PM
no... as a matter of fact it holds first, from tip in to redline and back

but if you wanted to start in 2nd or 3rd, M2 or M3 would make it start and stay in that gear unlike sport mode.

Qsilver7
11-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I think the owners manual explains how M mode should be used. Your car doesn't have a STEPTRONIC transmission like in the later e39/e38 BMWs that were engineered for manually shifting thru the gears. The manual mode is meant for single gear driving...as stated in the owners manual. This means steep inclines/declines...hauling...ice/snow/slippery road surfaces...or any time that you feel you need to limit upshifts/downshifts. If you want to drive spirited...then use S (sport mode).

And as someone stated above...driving in M D means the transmission is only shifting up to 3rd gear.

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/small50/pg29.jpg

Qsilver7
11-03-2006, 05:24 PM
I have noticed that my car shifts kind of late for the first few minutes when it is real cold outside.
That is totally natural for your engine. It has been designed to rev high in cold temperatures to accelerate warming up the engine. Because of another recommendation, by BMW, to not let your engine idle for long periods of time to "warm" the engine. You should drive off as soon as possible...read the last paragraph in the middle column.

http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/small50/pg54.jpg

Qsilver7
11-03-2006, 05:47 PM
And doesn't M mode restrict you from using 1st gear, instead starting from rest in 2nd gear?
No, not in the E34 525i/iT and 535i which have PRND321...manual mode has the capability to choose 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for single gear driving.

Your transmission works totally different than the ones in the other e34s. The e34 V8s have ATC (adaptive transmission control) and operates/adapts as data is received and interpreted from driver input, environmental conditions such as loss of traction/wheel slip, and traffic conditions like stop-n-go traffic etc.

The M mode in your car (the M60 V8) will limit upshifts to the gear selected when in manual mode. Your gear lever reads PRND432 and when you enter M mode and move the gear select lever back to 2 it will limit your transmission to upshifting to 2nd gear. (or this is how it works in later BMWs with ATC...check your owners manual to be sure).

For example...read the information in the right column highlighted in yellow (which applies ONLY to BMWs with ATC which in the E34 only applies to the 530i//iT and 540i):
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_45_full.jpg

For further information about ATC...here's a link that describes the introduction of ATC in the 1994 E34 V8s: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e34/specs/all_adaptive_trans.html

Enjoy the read. :)

632 Regal
11-03-2006, 06:21 PM
I would only use manual mode taking off in snow/ice. too expensive to mess around since selecting gears with the shifter accomplishes the same thing, and that I rarely do.

brick8
11-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I have a plain jane 1992 e34 525it. I don't think it has ATC. Anyhow, I experimented with S3 on the way home tonight. The transmission program message and bonger thing went off at about 70 mph. Got off the highway, turned the car off a red light, cleared the check message board, restarted the car and shifted back into ED, where it will stay until I figure out what is going wrong. From my readings here and on other boards it sounds like I should consider changing at fluid, fuel pump relay and transmission speed sensor. I have the Bentley manual and figure I should be able to handle the first two. I will also try disassembling the transmission switches and cleaning them. I hope this isn't going to be a wild goose chase.

From those here who have done it, how difficult is it to change the transmission speed sensor?

brick8
11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Tried reseating various connectors, relays, etc. this weekend, but no dice. However, I have tried running the same route at same speed :) several times using different transmission settings. If I play it save and stay in ED there is no transmission program warning. If I try to run fast in S3 mode it will inevitably go off as soon as I let off the gas at speed. Same result in MD (which some say should never be used, although I don't know why it is there...)

Anyhow, I ordered replacement DME and fuel pump relays because it seems like good preventive maintenance anyway at a low cost and will consider transmission service if the problem occurs in ED. I also ordered some Bosch FR7LDC plugs, air filter and oil filter kit for next weekend's project. The car seems generally well-maintained but I am concerned that the PO had the poor judgment to use Autolite plugs (out they go!).

Will keep you posted. Hope not to bore anyone.

BTW, I see that someone is selling a 1995 525it with a tranny program issue near me for (asking) $3k. If my driveway weren't full I would consider buying another one of these and experimenting with a manual tranny swap.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/230583369.html

ryan roopnarine
11-07-2006, 06:34 PM
what code is it giving off when it throws the check engine light/trans program?

brick8
11-07-2006, 07:55 PM
It just says "transmission program -- check owner's manual". I don't have a bmw code reader. I do have an OBDII reader but don't know how to hook it up to this car.

ryan roopnarine
11-07-2006, 08:00 PM
i'm pretty certain that the trans program doesn't come on without the check engine light going on. do you have a US or canadian car? if so, please do the stomp test and tell us which code is being stored (if a stompable code is even being stored).

brick8
11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Just did the stomp test and no codes came up. I hope I did it right.

ryan roopnarine
11-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Just did the stomp test and no codes came up. I hope I did it right.

it generated a 1444 code?