PDA

View Full Version : Slow startup and bad fuel economy (535)

Michael999
11-03-2006, 08:18 AM
For a while now i have been plagued with a long crank time after the car is left undriven for more than about 12hours.
Its not bad when i drive it daily, it was still irritating and concerning.

I got to work last night and my friend at work said he could smell petrol.
We had a look under the hood and found that the fuel lines were wet with fuel, and there were little puddles of petrol on the block!

I went to sprints (local store) and bought 1metre of high pressure 7.5mm fuel line.
Put it in, and the problem of slow starts seems to be gone!
Im hoping that my fuel economy goes up now as well.

What i think was happening was that fuel was constantly leaking out of the hoses that connect to the block, not the solid ones under the car, and that whent the car was left sitting, it would drain out of the top of the lines and block making starting the car take a good 4-5seconds to ignite due to no fuel in that first part of the lines.

Strange thing was that the hoses look perfectly intact, no cracking at all and they were still relatively soft.

The new hose (which i estimated the size on) turned out to be slightly smaller, so was a much more snug fit over the pipes, hopefully this helps keep them sealed!

JerseySi
11-03-2006, 08:31 AM
I had the same on mine - the small rubber hose for the injector rail, near the bulkhead, was split - enough to weep, but not leave puddles..
Same symptoms as yours
Part 11 on here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/g/q/9.png