PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension: camber/caster plate

535i.evan
11-03-2006, 01:42 AM
I recently bought a 535i with suspension work done. It has struts springs swaybars and camber/caster plates. There is a very slight inconsistant bumb/knock at slow speeds. I brought it in to my bmw mech and he said the steering and suspesion was all tight. He told me that some times putting these aftermarket plates can cause increased intermitend noise??? Any one ever heard of this?

Ross
11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Check the nuts that hold the inserts in the struts

632 Regal
11-03-2006, 11:21 AM
strut collar nuts, I had the same thing going on with everything tight til I cranked these with a pipe wrench and long pole.
Check the nuts that hold the inserts in the struts

535i.evan
11-04-2006, 05:44 PM
strut collar nuts, I had the same thing going on with everything tight til I cranked these with a pipe wrench and long pole.
Where are these nuts? Top or bottom of the strut?? also where are these nuts that hold the inserts??
Thanks

632 Regal
11-04-2006, 10:12 PM
top of the struts when you jack the front end up. do a search if you arent familiar.

s_ribbens
11-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Just replaced every single bushing and control arm on the front end of my car this past week and noticed that one of those had completely come off! The other was about half way loose. Definitely check those out! They do make some noise if they work themselves loose.

535i.evan
11-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok so Ive done a search on here for the collar nut. Is this the large nut that is bolted to the top of the strut? # 6 on this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=31_0128&hg=31&fg=10

If so everyone has been telling me to tighten it as hard as i can, but when i try to tighten it the whole strut turns with it and i feel like i could break something if i ere to really crank down on it. Is somesthing wrong or loose with my struts?? Or is this the wrong bolt.

Also i found the noise in my garage. It happens if i push down on the front end/bumper just at the start of compression, it sounds and feels like its comming from the strut.

Thanks
Evan

s_ribbens
11-08-2006, 11:22 AM
No. It's not on that diagram actually. Let me see if I can find it...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=31_0144&hg=31&fg=10

There is no direct picture of it, but if you look at the strut housing (on the right side of this picture) you'll see threads on top of it. The collar we are talking about threads on to that. You'll have to pull the dust boot up to see it unless yours is broken and no longer there. ;)

Hope that helps.

Turbo Ready
11-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Here you can see where they are located. i did these a few weeks ago for a customer.

This is the rear struts for the 735i, but same system for the front.

535i.evan
11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Here you can see where they are located. i did these a few weeks ago for a customer.

This is the rear struts for the 735i, but same system for the front.

Thanks, That pic and diagram helps. Does the symptom that i described sound like a loose collar nut?

632 Regal
11-08-2006, 12:52 PM
yes!
Thanks, That pic and diagram helps. Does the symptom that i described sound like a loose collar nut?

s_ribbens
11-08-2006, 12:55 PM
It does, but look first to see. You never know.

Turbo Ready
11-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Could be, can also come from a few other things as well. Just get it checked out entirely.

Check all the bolts and nuts as much as you can.

Jack the car lifting one of the front wheels off the ground. PLACE A JACK STAND UNDER THE CAR AT A JACK POINTAND RELEASE THE JACK.

Place a block of wood a few inches away from the wheel and with a solid piece of 2X4 under the wheel, making something like a see-saw, lift the wheel up and bown by standing on the other end of the 2X4.

Do this and listen for the knock, may help you identify the problem.