PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast, i mean it, thanks!

mzarifkar
11-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I tried starting today, dash lights lit up as usual, as i attempt to crank, i merely hear some clicking, im thinking battery dead?? i open the hood and have assistance crank, i see the radiator fav moves a little, but jsut lots of clicking.

I check voltage on battery (using the obc) i get a readout of 10-11 yikes, how did that happen, it ran fine yesterday. Anyway. reset computer, come back a little later to try again, still nothing, so now i know battery is low somehow. but here comes the concerning part, as i turned off the key, something sounding like a relay started clicking vigoriously behind me, then it slowed down, then started again. I look behind me and locate the noise to originate from what appears to be a relay/fuse box of some sort on the drivers side underneath the rear seat. worried about what that was, i know left the battery unplugged. Does anyone know if my starting issues are just battery related, or is there something else going on?
what the hell is that thing that is clicking anyway, the keyless entry module is mounted on top of it. Till i can get a jumpstart, ill be eagerly checking this forum.

heres the vitals:
1995 525 m50tu automatic transmission
outside temperature 34 degrees F
battery age little over 3 years
last voltage reading from battery (by means of obc) low 9 volt.

car is parked outside and has been for past 3 months (on college campus) i have started in as low as -5degrees F

thanks much!!

Mehrdad

632 Regal
11-02-2006, 06:10 PM
RELAX okay it wont start because the battery is too low. Thus the starter solenoid clicking.

The relay in question, in my oppinion should be replaced as it is probably sticking and was the drain culprit. If you can take it apart maybe you can clean the contacts as a temporary solution (perminent if it works :D).

You should be able to jump it if charged for about 10 minutes with other vehich idling higher than regular (maybe kick on AC) but I would replace the relay before attempting to drive the car unless despirately needed.

after all this you might need a new battery, they dont cost much ~60.oo