PDA

View Full Version : White Smog

begeta50
11-01-2006, 09:57 PM
White smog comes out my 1994 525i. Is that mean that the head gasket is busted, or what?
If anyone can give any idea what it could be.
Thanks

shogun
11-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Is that mean that the head gasket is busted

NO!
But that winter is coming soon.
That is normal, we drive fog machines in winter till the exhaust is full hot.

rob101
11-01-2006, 11:03 PM
NO!
But that winter is coming soon.
That is normal, we drive fog machines in winter till the exhaust is full hot.
its because alot of condensation forms in the exhaust and engine. believe me i took off an exhaust and there was a fair amount of water there (NOT coolant)

bsell
11-02-2006, 06:14 AM
What does the 'smog' smell like?

If it is sweet-smelling, you are breathing combusted antifreeze. Think head gasket as your worst case, or does your throttle body have a coolant passage in it to keep the body from icing up during cold, wet weather? Either way, pop off the rubber boot at the throttle body, open the throttle (with the engine off of course!) and see if you see any fluid colored like what is in the radiator. If so, happy days as you have found your problem. :D If not, break out the wallet, its a head gasket or cracked head. :(

Ethylene glycol is sweet to the tongue and nose which is why animals lap it up. Then they suffer kidney failure due to the poisonous properties of ethylene glycol so don't leave antifreeze laying around (public service announcement);) .

If your smog is present after driving at speed for ten minutes or so, and is not sweet smelling, you are burning an oil product. I am not sure if your car has an engine vacuum sensor on the tranny but if it does, the diaphram in it could be leaking trans fluid into the intake causing the white smog.

If it was engine oil burning, the smog would have a blueish tint to it. Not unheard of for a car with 200K miles on it.

Brian