PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting throttle body cable???

Jon K
11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, I removed my throttle body and detailed it - it's mintly clean now - thinking about polishing it but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, I deleted cruise control and had to remove the throttle body cabling to get the TB out. Now, I put it all back in, but it seems I have about 1/2" of dead travel in my throttle pedal. Meaning, i have about 1/2" maybe 3/4" of hardly any resistance on the throttle pedal before I feel the spring tension at the throttle body. I noticed when I removed the cabling that there is a spinny dealy on the cable, though I couldn't tell if it adjusts the tension or not. I spun it around just messing and maybe thats why I have this travel but I thought I'd just ask.

Is there a way to adjust the freeplay in the throttle pedal vs the tension on the cable?

This is an M50 by the way.

Booster
11-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Did you really just say "spinny dealy" ?!!!:p :p ROTFL.....man, you kill me Jon.
I'd think that the tension loss comes from perhaps the preload from the old CC cable.
Can you fab up a used throttle wheel or some kind of proper cable disc to make it tight again ? This would be an added wheel for the existing cable to loop over/under on a bracket you make and attatch.
I wouldn't think shortening or altering the old cable in any way would last long before it frayed and snapped at the most inconvienient moment !:(
V'

ryan roopnarine
11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
no, there isn't.
the play is from you playing with it, as johnson rods rarely fail in the manner you suggest.
turn the spinny thing top-wise and take the slack out of it.

Ross
11-01-2006, 07:22 PM
When you are sent to prison for all your turboed up speeding around try not to say "spinny dealy".

Macv
11-01-2006, 07:38 PM
And ship your car to me when it happens

Jon K
11-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Spinny dealy