PDA

View Full Version : Aoto transmission indicator shows exclamation mark and car drags

sizla
11-01-2006, 11:51 AM
1992 UK Spec E34 BMW 520i purchased at 75,000 (no history tho :-)) currently at 81,000.

Beautiful car drives like a dream until now!

This is a frequently reoccuring problem whilst driving in D-Mode (excuse me if thats not I am new to autos).

Drives ok for a bit then suddenly the car goes into some sort of 'safe' mode with reduced power and I get an exclamation mark with a little spoked ring around it where it normally says E-D

switch the engine off, then on again and sometimes that fixes it. or go into manual gears and that sorts it out too. But the problem is re-occuring.

Have read a lot of posts but not one mention of the exclamation mark. I will clean the sensors under the gear stick this week. That much I can do!
I have bought the ATF although I havent checked what type it is I didnt think it mattered until I read the posts!. Will check it tonight.

I will get my mate to change the ATF but as there are no level indiactors can you direct me to a good guide to to this step by step? Also do you recommend changing some filters/gaskets etc if so which ones.

More importantly any info about the actual problem above will be VERY gratefully recieved.

i will keep you guys posted....
Sizla

sizla
11-20-2006, 05:56 AM
I managed to resolve this problem by taking apart the gear selector switch and giving it a good old clean with some contact cleaner, and old toothbrush and a cotton ear bud!

Still gna change the oil tho when I get a moment.

Any other tips welcome

winfred
11-20-2006, 08:52 AM
i am guessing you have the gm (chevy, it has two oil pans, a small one and a big square one) tranny found in the us 525, to refill after servicing theres a bolt on the side of the pan up near the rail, it's on the left side of our cars, i like to fill till it runs out then start the car for a minute then shut it off and top it up, then you can start the car and warm up the tranny with a short drive (5-10 minutes), then top it off with the engine running till it runs out the hole