PDA

View Full Version : Okay guys, I am stuck and need some advice.

amsmk
04-15-2004, 12:17 AM
I was in my second year to apprehend the joy of driving a BMW versus even elite Japanese models that something spoiled it all.
A few weeks ago I got into my 1989, 535i aut. (169k) and tried to back up from the parking lot, but the car hesitated to move. Sure enough, it is time to get a rebuilt tranny. Unfortunately I am in a stage of life (mid 30’s) where things are a little hectic (buying a house, having a 3 year old, job situation is humorously funny) and I am a bit clueless. This is the only car in the family and We were fixing to buy another car for my wife on a very short budget. If you were in my shoes, which one of the followings would you do?

1-Sell it as is (well I already posted it here, but do not have a clue how to price it).
2-Fix it and then sell it (shopped around and Kirt Koeller said He might have a rebuilt for $500 to $600 ball park, adding the cost of shipment and labor).
3-Fix it and drive it.
4-Part it out.
5-Trade it in at a car dealer.
6-Or………

Martin in Bellevue
04-15-2004, 12:43 AM
Don't read my words too closely if you need wheels on the road tomorrow. Maybe pursue buying the wife something soon to ease the pressure to do something immediate with the 535.

Sounds like Kirt has taken pity on you. I'd want to accept that generosity & learn how to install a gearbox, provided shipping isn't too damn high.

I lean towards maintaining a car as being cheaper than a new car payment. In other circumstances, this would be an ideal time to convert to manual 5 speed.

Drooby
04-15-2004, 12:53 AM
your best bang for the buck , if you can wait , is to part it out.
Ebay is a good place todo so , of course this depends on what kinda shape everything is ( interior , electric .....etc) you'll be surprized how much little things can get you ! ( like arm rests , mirrors ,grills..etc)

sbcncsu
04-15-2004, 07:44 AM
I was in my second year to apprehend the joy of driving a BMW versus even elite Japanese models that something spoiled it all.
A few weeks ago I got into my 1989, 535i aut. (169k) and tried to back up from the parking lot, but the car hesitated to move. Sure enough, it is time to get a rebuilt tranny. Unfortunately I am in a stage of life (mid 30’s) where things are a little hectic (buying a house, having a 3 year old, job situation is humorously funny) and I am a bit clueless. This is the only car in the family and We were fixing to buy another car for my wife on a very short budget. If you were in my shoes, which one of the followings would you do?

1-Sell it as is (well I already posted it here, but do not have a clue how to price it).
2-Fix it and then sell it (shopped around and Kirt Koeller said He might have a rebuilt for $500 to $600 ball park, adding the cost of shipment and labor).
3-Fix it and drive it.
4-Part it out.
5-Trade it in at a car dealer.
6-Or………

Look at this from a few weeks ago: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1905&highlight=front+clutch

May not need a full rebuild.

amsmk
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
I did't know it's possible to change to manual 5 speed. Is a 5 speed manual less expensive than an aut.? And also thanks for your advice.

amsmk
04-15-2004, 09:27 AM
I whish I had enough skills to open it myself and check it out. Thanks for the link.

amsmk
04-15-2004, 09:36 AM
This has been on my mind, but I am very concern about big pieces like the engine. There are so many things I can not know of for example where should I keep the car while parting it out. What if I have to move to a new house and already some parts are sold and the car is not drivable? I appreciate your reply and more comments.