PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Idling/Acceleration Noise - Please ID!

scyrusurcys
10-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey everyone, I have a '95 540i with 167K miles and during the mornings (or anytime I haven't driven my car for over 6 or 7 hours) when I start my car, I get a whining/gargling noise that gets faster with my RPMs. The noise is high-pitched and sounds like it's coming from under my dash, but inside the engine bay. It will dissipate almost completely when in 3 gear or higher.

For the record, I am about 700 miles short of an oil change but even after a fresh change, the noise continues.

Could anyone identify the culprit of this horrible noise?

pingu
10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
If your car is an auto then it might be the infamous gearbox whine. Mine used to do it a lot when cold but once things had warmed up it was fine. If it's autobox whine then it's probably low transmission fluid and/or a blocked filter - do you know if the fluid and filter have ever been changed? For more info, do a search (Google is good as there lots of info on the www.e38 forum, not just this one) for "5HP30" (which is the model number of the gearbox) and "whine".

scyrusurcys
10-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the information! That's exactly what I was [unsuccessfully] looking for.