PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the BMW emblem

willobmw
04-14-2004, 09:03 PM
I was just looking thru the F.A.Q. area and came across some info that I have never heard in my many years of BMW ownership. It stated that the emblem represented the colors of the Bavarian Flag. I don't want to start any flack but I beg to differ. The symbol represents BMW's early aviation roots. That's why the Allies bombed the Hell out of the factories. The White area is an airplane propeller and the blue is the sky. Just a little bit of Bavarian History.

Will Ollison
1990 535i
1981 528i
1975 2002 :p

632 Regal
04-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Bavarian Motor Works was the maker of the airplane engines, havent heard the rest of that data tho. where did you reas that?

willobmw
04-14-2004, 09:23 PM
My bad, just checked my references. My apologies. Don't be too bruttal. Next I will be calling Bimmers, Beamers.
Willo

DueyT
04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
I was told by an older fellow at the BMW museum in Munchen/Munich that the design did indeed begin as the stylized propellor against the sky, and was finalized using die koloren Bayerishe (the light blue and white) Those also happen to be the colours on the beer stein that I and some other NATO officers were quite graciously given by Prince Luitpold (great grandson of King Ludwig) himself during a visit to his Kaltenburg brewery (well, it's a castle that also makes beer!). He also graciously filled our steins a few times...he's a VERY nice gentleman! :) If you have a chance to try Konig Ludwig Dunkel you'd love it. Mmmmmm....dark beeeer!

Cheers (literally!)
Duey

Call me CLIFF
04-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Airplane propeller? There are many misconceptions. It is Bavarian Code of Arms. Also, remember the JEEP? People believe it came from the old cartoon character that could do it all. But it is JEEP (aka GP) stands for government (G) and the code for the wheelbase (P). Did you know that Mercedes emblem used to have four points in a circle at first? Now you see it with three points in a circle.

TheGeak
04-15-2004, 01:23 AM
actually, JEEP comes from GP General Purpose. The "Jeep" was a general purpose vehicle and calling it a GP sounded a lot like "jeep". Thus was born the term 'jeep'.

it is not he bavarian coat of arms (coat, not code) it just happens to be the same colors. It does in fact represent a spinning propeller as to represent their heritage as beginning life building airplane engines for WWI planes.

die koloren Bayerishe = the colors Bavarian

BMW = Bayerishe Motore Werken = Bavarian Motor Works.

ryan roopnarine
04-15-2004, 07:43 AM
sorry but GP doesn't stand for general purpose, believe the other poster was correct in saying that the G stands for government but the P stands for 180 inch wheelbase (or some other inch wheelbase) vehicle. i believe the spelling JEEP comes from the popeye cartoon, as GP sounds like Jeep

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/images/lowrez/cartoon10l213.jpg

actually, JEEP comes from GP General Purpose. The "Jeep" was a general purpose vehicle and calling it a GP sounded a lot like "jeep". Thus was born the term 'jeep'.

it is not he bavarian coat of arms (coat, not code) it just happens to be the same colors. It does in fact represent a spinning propeller as to represent their heritage as beginning life building airplane engines for WWI planes.

Call me CLIFF
04-15-2004, 08:04 AM
That's incorrect about the JEEP. aka GP = P is NOT purpose. That's another misconceptions. PLEASE CHECK THE FACTS AGAIN! P DOES STAND FOR THE WHEELBASE OF THE JEEP. I forgot exact length... All GP had a specific design length engineer for its purpose. IT IS A WHEELBASE CODE! I saw it at the Chicago AUTO SHOW about the brand name. Ohhh, I mean code NOT coat for "Code of Arms"... I'm just telling you what was written about the brand name at the Chicago AUTO SHOW. How the name came to be and the misconception behind the name. I found Mercedes-Benz to be interesting... Mercedes is a name of a business partner's beautiful daughter who Mr. Benz thought would be suitable for his beautiful cars to honor his partnership. I should have the written paper document somewhere about the brand name. I'll look for it and place the picture so you could see for yourself. What is FACT OR NOT...

ryan roopnarine
04-15-2004, 08:57 AM
for bmw

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/automotive.htm

for benz after it became mercedes

http://www.users.qwest.net/%7Ehrellis/Mercedes%20Benz.htm

TheGeak
04-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Yes i know about Merc being named after the guys daughter.

My apologies on the GP thing, i was trying to recall what i had seen on the History Channel a few weeks ago, so my mind wasn't perfect. Also, after doing a bit of fast research through the web (thanks Google!) it seems the debate rages. To FORD (the makers of the 'gp') the P was their code for an' 80" wheel base. However, to the Army the P was purpose. It was known as the 1/4Ton General Purpose 4x4 or GP.

However, most commonly now it is called a 'coat' of arms not a code. (things may be different on the other side of the 'pond' but i'm speaking for the Philadelphia area of the world)

And as for the actual MEANING of the BMW emblem, the world may never know....another situtation in which the debate rages. We could however, email BMW and see what sort of response we get!

Springfield1952
04-15-2004, 03:16 PM
A long time ago I did some research on this, here's what I remember. The symbol is a stylized image of a spinning propeller. The light blue and white are colors used in the Bavarian flag and are seen all over southern Germany.

Curt.
1994 530iT

AZ_Jason_S
04-15-2004, 03:32 PM
The Jeep wasn't even invented by Ford or Willys, but the Bantam Car Company in Butler PA. I think the Army liked Bantams design, but awarded the contract to Ford, because they had the more powerful Willys "Go Devil" engine. I think they gave Bantam a contract for trailers or parts or something.

andyman32
04-15-2004, 05:01 PM
I've always heard that the emblem is supposed to represent airplane propellers against the blue is the Bavarian sky.

I'm going to write to BMW as Geak suggested to ask :) I will post as soon as I have a reply!

Springfield1952
04-15-2004, 05:19 PM
This is the version with the royal crest, the "standard" flag is the blue and white diamonds only.

Curt.

gordon
04-15-2004, 06:04 PM
You can see from the posting of the original logo (the flying airplane from the front) the logo we know today right down to the vertical and horizontal lines....It is based on an airplane propellor against blue sky.
As for Jeeps...no one knows exactly whether it was JEEP for GP or from the Popey cartoon character...(this from four or five Jeep History sites).

Call me CLIFF
04-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Maybe BMW adapted the airplane propeller idea into the poster and so on as it looks like a propeller spinning in the blue sky. Just like what Ryan said about the “JEEP” from Popeye cartoon. However the BMW emblem ORIGINALLY stood for Bavarian Coat of Arms. It is “Coat” and NOT “Code”. That was my mistake for writing it wrong. That’s what it said at the Chicago AUTO SHOW.

rickm
04-15-2004, 06:33 PM
Someone could call or write each company and ask them. Hopefully this won't turn into the flame fest that occurs when someone asks about Volvo. :)

TheGeak
04-15-2004, 06:54 PM
pfffft Chicago, what'd they know about cars out THERE!!! *please note this message was meant to convey a lot of sarcasm*

rickm
04-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Not just Chicago, but the Chicago AUTO SHOW. :D

Jeep history:
http://www.jeep.com/jeep_life/legends/heritage/index.html?context=jeep_life-legends-index&type=button

BMW history:
http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/nav/index.html?http://www.bmwgroup.com/e/0_0_www_bmwgroup_com/1_unternehmen/1_unternehmen.shtml

DueyT
04-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Just to be clear, the elder gentleman in the BMW museum in Munich that told me about the propeller was one of the museum employees. I'm pretty sure he was passing on the company line to me. He was certainly sincere and I'm happy that the emblem represents the stylized propeller using Bavarian colours. If the Emblem were simply taken from the Bavarian Coat of Arms backgroun, I would think that the checks would be diagonalized, not square/perpendicular as they are in the roundel.

Of course, I will now have to visit München again, to reconfirm the real deal. Of course, I will remember to bring some sort of formal proof back with me (besides a König Ludwig Dunkel Weiss beer stein :D)

Cheers,
Duey

myles
04-15-2004, 10:38 PM
I will be there in a few weeks, so I will make a point of asking while I'm at the museum. And I will get some proof..

Can't wait to get to Munich!!

winfred
04-15-2004, 10:50 PM
fertility and iron, and if i remember right volvo means i roll

Someone could call or write each company and ask them. Hopefully this won't turn into the flame fest that occurs when someone asks about Volvo. :)

ryan roopnarine
04-16-2004, 07:24 AM
volvo iobviously means a part of the female anatomy.

andyman32
04-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Dear Mr. Whalen;

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Before BMW began building automobiles, we manufactured airplane engines. The Roundel represents a white propeller spinning in a blue sky. If you are interested, there is a great deal of information on the history of BMW on our website at www.bmwgroup.com. Select 'Company', and then 'history'.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Anthony Salla
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

632 Regal
04-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Makes me want to buy a BMW!

:D :D :D

TheGeak
04-16-2004, 02:27 PM
*clears his throat*

booYA!

darthmaul
04-16-2004, 06:58 PM
EVERYONE....GO WATCH FINDING FORRESTER!

roundell = propellers spinning against the blue sky

=P

Call me CLIFF
04-16-2004, 07:06 PM
Wow! You guys WIN... I cannot believe they could make that type of a mistake at the Chicago AUTO SHOW! It said otherwise at the show. By the way, when did BMW of North America become LLC (Limited Liability Company)?

Dear Mr. Whalen;

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Before BMW began building automobiles, we manufactured airplane engines. The Roundel represents a white propeller spinning in a blue sky. If you are interested, there is a great deal of information on the history of BMW on our website at www.bmwgroup.com. Select 'Company', and then 'history'.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Anthony Salla
Representative

DueyT
04-16-2004, 09:40 PM
Dear Mr. Whalen;

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC. Before BMW began building automobiles, we manufactured airplane engines. The Roundel represents a white propeller spinning in a blue sky. If you are interested, there is a great deal of information on the history of BMW on our website at www.bmwgroup.com (http://www.bmwgroup.com/). Select 'Company', and then 'history'.

Sincerely,

Anthony Salla
Representative
I knew the old fella in München was giving me the real deal! ;)

Danke schoen, mein herr! :D

632 Regal
04-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Danke schoen, mein herr!

jplacson
04-17-2004, 01:24 PM
From all the BMW books I've read, I've NEVER come across the "Bavarian Flag" association. Perhaps it was just a coincidence... but I'm SURE that if the colors did have to do with the flag, BMW would've been the very first to say so.

But even though it doesn't have anything to do with the colors of the Bavarian flag, it's still a cool coincidence! :) As long as they keep building cars, that 'fly' on the road... I'm a happy camper! :D

Unregistered
04-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Hey I can't resist throwing my uneducated 2 cents in (code or coat?)
I sold BMW’s and BMW Canada is sticking with the propeller story. I read a great book about Mercedes Benz and they say that Mercedes was actually the niece of an influential customer Auto Jelenik (not sure of the spelling), he also contributed a lot of remarks to encourage the development of the original Mercedes Benz vehicles of the 20's and into the thirties. Now I was born in North America long after there was a Bavaria or Mercedes Benz so I think this stuff is kinda like King Authors court when it comes to what we know and what were the facts..

92 525i