PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Heated seats e34 Yes or No wiring information???

gmannino
10-30-2006, 07:41 PM
I've been searching around my leather seats in my 90 525i and I cannot seem to find the wires for the heated seats. I've read on this forum and bf.com that e34's with leather seats have the heating elements installed from the factory; you just need to add the switches.

I've pulled the seat backing off on each seat and looked under each seat but I cannot find the wires listed in the bentley manual. They list white/yellow and white/blue for the seating element power wires. So basically I am looking for either the element power wires to hardwire or the heated seat harness to plug into factory switches.

Can any of you confirm the location and wires colors for the heating elements and even if the elements are in all e34's? Does anyone have pictures of the location of the wiring? In the rear seat backing, no wires listed in manual as well as under the seat.

I found quite a few unused wiring harnesses but I don't want to start probing these and potentially damage something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kalevera
10-30-2006, 09:33 PM
I've been searching around my leather seats in my 90 525i and I cannot seem to find the wires for the heated seats. I've read on this forum and bf.com that e34's with leather seats have the heating elements installed from the factory; you just need to add the switches.

People who are telling you this are confused and incorrect. The seat's wiring harness has connectors for a switch and the elements because it was easier for BMW to produce one harness for all power seats than to produce two (or three or four, depending on how many non-standard electrical options you want to count -- lumbar, thigh support). Wire is now much more expensive to install than control modules.

The seat heating elements are stitched into the leather from the factory on E32/E34 cars. If the seat isn't heated, the next best bet is to replace the seat with a used one that came with heating from the factory. If not that, add heating elements, available from some aftermarket places.

gmannino
10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
How would you be able to tell if the seats came with heaters or not? Is there a particular spot or section which you can visually check to see if the heating element is there or not? Pics?