PDA

View Full Version : OT: OBD II Scanner request

Adnan
04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi,

Our 1996 Subaru just lit up its Check Engine light at 85k miles. I suspect it's the O2 sensors but I'd like to run the codes to be sure.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive unit that will do the jo?

Thanks,
Adnan

Bill R.
04-14-2004, 06:54 PM
gas tank vapor system.. At any rate a decent cheapo code reader will run about 140.. or if you have a autozone or checkers nearby they will scan it for you.. And checkers now has a scan tool as one of their loaner tools.

Hi,

Our 1996 Subaru just lit up its Check Engine light at 85k miles. I suspect it's the O2 sensors but I'd like to run the codes to be sure.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive unit that will do the jo?

Thanks,
Adnan

Adnan
04-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the tip. The car was hit at low speed that required replacement of the rear bumper and crash pad beneath. No welding was performed, just parts replacement. It ran fine though for the two weeks before we took it in. When my wife picked it up, the light was on. Coincidence, or is there something on the Legacy that the body shop may have interacted with?

Your comment about the fuel evap makes me wonder if there may be a connection. In any case, can you elaborate on this particular code and what I may be facing, repairwise?

Thanks as always for your insight.

Adnan

Bill R.
04-14-2004, 08:24 PM
common one to come up on subaru's If any of the vacum lines from the tank were damaged and not repaired it will set a code or if the gas cap was left loose while starting it will set a code.. its easy enough to scan on your legacy and find out.. i could be all wrong but that seems to be the one that always comes up on them.. i probably see 10 vapor codes for 1 o2 sensor code...

Bill,

Thanks for the tip. The car was hit at low speed that required replacement of the rear bumper and crash pad beneath. No welding was performed, just parts replacement. It ran fine though for the two weeks before we took it in. When my wife picked it up, the light was on. Coincidence, or is there something on the Legacy that the body shop may have interacted with?

Your comment about the fuel evap makes me wonder if there may be a connection. In any case, can you elaborate on this particular code and what I may be facing, repairwise?

Thanks as always for your insight.

Adnan