PDA

View Full Version : Wipers & a couple of Q's....

JScritch
10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
1992 525i Auto

I've done a lot of searching & reading, but still not sure what to attempt first.

The wipers randomly stop/start when in the intermittent or low setting but work without flaw in the high speed setting.

In what I could find it could be the motor itself or the speed sensor on the rear diff. I'm leaning towards the motor because the cruise control & speedo work fine all the time so I'm guessing there is not a problem with the speed sensor.

Would you agree I'm on the right track or should I still investigate the speed sensor? Or is there something I'm overlooking entirely?

I just don't want to chase $$ after things that don't need it.

tazman
10-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Since the wipers work fine in high speed setting... in my opinion your motor is fine. Might wanna take out the speed sensor, clean up the contacts. I would investigate the sensor further.

glen-sj
10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
The wiper low and intermittent speeds are governed by the travel speed of the car. Meaning as the speed of the car increases the wiper speed will also increases and if you're seating at a stop light the speed would be very slow.

Airborne001
10-31-2006, 05:34 AM
I was under the impression that they are designed that way. When on low setting mine swirch to intermitant at a stop light, and resume normal operation when I start moving again. I am pretty sure they were designed like this.

Ferret
10-31-2006, 05:38 AM
I was under the impression that they are designed that way. When on low setting mine swirch to intermitant at a stop light, and resume normal operation when I start moving again. I am pretty sure they were designed like this.

iirc there are two different wiper control units - I walloped a CCM and some others from a 535 sport into my 525 and got really really confused when suddenly the normal speed setting on the wipers stopped at traffic lights.