PDA

View Full Version : Update

dcbimmer
10-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Ok here's the update on my saga. OK the original problem started when I was told by my mechanic told me that I needed an EML unit for my car. He said he couldn't get any code readings from my computer. My idle was off the check info screen in my gauge cluster didn't work. My rear window defogger didn't turn AC didn't work nor did my heat work. Well some of the guys in this forum doubted that was the problem. Some suggested that it was the CCM or some other electrical problem. I went back and studied all of the responses to my post and decided to check everything again. Here's where I made my rookie mistake. When I first tested the fuses I did a visual inspection and also used a test light. When using the test light I would test a side and then inspect the fuse. I now found out that doesn't work. You have to test both sides of the fuse.....LOL I will accept all of the the forums abuse!!!! Please forgive me. Anyway the problem with my car was fuse number 20. I changed that puppy and like magic everything worked. I did have to disconnet my battery to reset my DME to fix my idle problem. But and there is always a but. Now when I start my car while sitting in the driveway the Trans Program light comes on. Funny thing the car runs just fine. It shifts correctly. I read some of the posts about the trans program message and found a post that sounds like my problem. It suggests that I change my DME relay. I'm going to get that part today but does that sound correct? Also where is the DME relay located?

Ferret
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Trans Program on startup then normal shift is almost always a bad connection - check your battery terminals are clean and tight enough.

dcbimmer
10-30-2006, 08:42 AM
I thought about that and bought a new battery and installed it yesterday. I cleaned both the terminals and the cable post. So that isn't the problem any other suggestions.

dcbimmer
10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
I changed the DME and Fuel Pump Relays and the problem still exists. When you say loose connections what should I be looking for?

Ferret
10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
I changed the DME and Fuel Pump Relays and the problem still exists. When you say loose connections what should I be looking for?

Follow the battery negative cable from the terminal post down to where it's bolted onto the bodywork - check if it's rusty/loose etc.

Check earth straps in the same manner between engine and bodywork... though I'm more likely suspecting your batt earth lead.