PDA

View Full Version : Watch this vid... it's the way of the future..

genphreak
10-30-2006, 07:07 AM
You guys have to see this, (and not just for the BMW ad at the end...)

Enjoy (http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=j_han&flashEnabled=1) ;)

t.wak
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Awesome stuff...

Jon K
10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
Thats very neat - I have been wondering why we don't have multiple input touch screens. The backlighting is awesome too... rear projection he said?

genphreak
10-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Thats very neat - I have been wondering why we don't have multiple input touch screens. The backlighting is awesome too... rear projection he said?Yea its sweet. I've NFI about how they are doing it at NYU. Normally touchscreens work thorugh sensing resistance or later capacitance (changes in flux), or by acoustically sensing where the bumps coming from with microphones (these are generally the best commecially available ones)

That is why you can't do two things at once as it can only sense one- or something in between the two or more you may happen to actually do.

This thing is even touch-sensitive so the screen muct be a touch pad that must sense heat maybe I dunno...

Weird but wonderful.

mamilapon
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Very interesting mate. I feel so backward right now typing on a keyboard!

Macv
10-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Saw this awhile back and was completely amazed.

Zeuk in Oz
10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
You guys have to see this, (and not just for the BMW ad at the end...)

Enjoy (http://ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=j_han&flashEnabled=1) ;)
Very interesting Nick - though I have seen something similar before - might have been another presentation for the same thing - on TV I think.

Very reminiscent of what Tom Cruise was using in the "Minority Report".

Hal
10-30-2006, 06:00 PM
It seems that they are using what is called frustrated total internal reflection in a layer just above the display:

Link to NYU Website (/)

Hal

CharlesAFerg
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I love how they can make these wonderful things but never get a stream to go fast enough.

Annoying hand motions.
Akward pauses.
He's speed-talking me to death.
PR rep anyone?

lol, this is why products fail, Han.
:D

I've seen that 3d layout before but it's such a pain to use because you can't keep anything organized.
Maybe with the use of hands instead of a mouse this will be easier, but it will take a new generation of computer users to learn with it.

materiamage
10-30-2006, 06:53 PM
wow, I would have loved this back in my photography/imaging days.