PDA

View Full Version : High beams stay on even when car off/key removed

jdecker1
10-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Hello! I need help with an electrical problem in my 1995 E34 525i. The high beams stay on even when the car is turned off and the key is removed from the ignition. The only way to get them to turn off is to pull the fuses #13 and #14 in the front power distribution box. Here is a brief history to date:

I live in NY and bought the car from someone in GA and had the car transported on an open carrier. When the car was delivered, the driver handed me the two 7.5A fuses that the previous owner had given him when he picked up the car. When I plugged the fuses in the high beams came on and stayed on even when the car was turned off and the key removed from the ignition. The steering column stalk switch seemed to work fine. I pulled the fuses and made arrangements to bring the car in to a local mechanic who has experience with a LOT of foreign cars, including BMWs.

All diagnostics pointed to the light control module and they ordered one and installed it. Every worked fine except that the “brake lt circuit” warning light came on. I ordered new bulbs and a new brake light switch but this did not fix the warning. About six weeks later the high beams came on while driving and continued to stay on even when the car was off and the key removed. I pulled the fuses and brought it in to the shop.

Again, all diagnostics pointed to the light control module and they ordered another one and installed it. When I picked the car up everything worked fine and even the “brake lt circuit” warning was gone. Two days later the high beams came on while driving and stayed on even when the car was off and the key removed. I pulled the fuses and brought it in to the shop.

Again, all diagnostics pointed to the light control module and the mechanic thought there might be a problem with the source of the parts. So he ordered one directly from BMW and installed it. This time, when I picked the car up the high beams came on immediately and stayed on even when the car was off and the key removed…

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Thanks in advance for your help!

Bellicose Right Winger
10-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Interesting problem. Reinstall fuses 13 and 14 and verify that lights are still on. Pull fuse 6, if lights go out then I think there's a problem with Crash Control Module, N17.

Paul Shovestul

shogun
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
LKM you do not have to buy new, they can be easily repaired.
Lots of info on this board or on my website below under e32fixes.com

Have they already removed the light switch and disassembled to see if it is broken inside?

Pls let us know the exact month and year your car was produced, as this is important to check the right wiring diagrams.
On my website below there is a VIN decoder. Type in the last seven digits of your VIN and you will get the details on this.

Add that info to your profile so that everyone can read it in all your postings together with engine type etc. as all others do.
Then someone can have a look into the wiring diagrams to give you some more detailed info.

Wiring diagrams
http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/

Have a look at this switch
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/169009

jdecker1
10-30-2006, 05:42 AM
Thanks! I am, what my 15 year old son would say, a nub. Which I guess is worse than a newb... :)

Vehicle code: HD63, Series: E34, Model 525i M50, Production date: 10/94

jdecker1
10-30-2006, 05:55 AM
I reinstalled fuses #13 and #14 and the high beams came on after about 30 seconds. I pulled fuse #6 and the high beams turned off. I reinstalled fuse #6 and the high beams stayed off for about 1 minute then came back on.

Bellicose Right Winger
10-30-2006, 07:00 AM
The Crash Control Module has a relay that will turn high beams on. Pulling fuse 6 de-energizes relay (and entire crash module) and lights go off.

Crash module is either 1) bad or 2) it thinks you've been in an accident. Crash module should also turn flashers, but it doesn't, so this tends to rule out 2).

I surprised by the time delay after fuse installation. If relay was bad I'd expect lights to come on as soon as fuse is installed.

Crash Module N17 is about 1.5" square. It's in fuse box at the rearward end of the LKM to the right of LKM, as sitting in drivers seat.

Paul Shovestul

I reinstalled fuses #13 and #14 and the high beams came on after about 30 seconds. I pulled fuse #6 and the high beams turned off. I reinstalled fuse #6 and the high beams stayed off for about 1 minute then came back on.