PDA

View Full Version : Driver's (left) Door lock problem

pgrindstaff
10-29-2006, 03:56 PM
When I got my car this past February the driver's side door lock only unlocked the doors one time, right after I picked up the car. For a while now I have thought that the door lock actuator is the culprit for this issue and have tried to remove it without any success. Now that I have thought about it a little more I am wondering if there is something else wrong.

I am not exactly sure how the locking system works when you lock/unlock the car from the door but I suspect that there is a switch in the lock cylinder that tells the system to lock or unlock the car. If this is true, I suspect that the switch is bad in the left front door. My reason for thinking this is that I can lock the car but when I turn the key to unlock, nothing happens and I have to go to either the passenger door or the trunk.

I looked in the Bentley (515-1) for instructions to sync the locks but according to the instructions, my car locks/unlocks from opposite positions as shown. According to Bentley, position 3 Double locks the doors. When I turn the key to position 3, the doors unlock (only from passenger door). Position 1 locks the car, and position 2 does nothing.

One thing I did notice one day while I had the back seat out was that when I lock the car from the left door, the relay activates and the doors lock, however, the same is not true when I turn the key to the unlock position. The relay did activate when I tried to both lock and unlock the car from the passenger door though, so I am not thinking the relay is my problem.

Another source of curiosity is that the locking and unlocking positions are different than stated in the Bentley. I suppose something is plugged in backwards but have no idea where to start looking.

I just went out to look a little further into this and found that when I lock from the left door, the doors do not lock until position 2. Once I turn the key here the locks go down, then there is another sound that I cannot describe, maybe like a motor changing positions. When I lock from right door, position 1 locks the doors but there is no sound like I described for the left door, and position 2 doesn't do anything.

Any help you guys can offer on this matter is greatly appreciated,
-Patrick