PDA

View Full Version : Is Windshield Trim Really Available at BMA?

93 525 Paul
10-28-2006, 08:10 PM
Found in an archive search that BMA sells the trim that goes between the windshield and the body. However, a search of BMA's website doesn't show the trim.
That archive post was from '04 and I can't call BMA until Monday. Any new info here?
Also, a tip to the community - If your trim starts to lift because the little plastic retainers around the perimeter of the windshield are cracking, don't procrastinate. Otherwise you will get to replace the twisted and mangled originals when they lift all the way at freeway speed. Not good.

gale
10-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Yes, they can get them. I bought one from them a couple years ago but you'll prolly have to call or e-mail them. Basically, if you or they can find a BMW part number, they can get almost any part if it's still in production.

93 525 Paul
10-28-2006, 08:42 PM
...I've got my fingers crossed that they are still available. I'd hate like hell to run into the dreaded NLA.

genphreak
10-28-2006, 09:23 PM
...I've got my fingers crossed that they are still available. I'd hate like hell to run into the dreaded NLA.Let us know how much they end up charging you... I think a few people might be interested in knowing :)

Qube
10-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Definitely let us know. Mine is crumbling and I'm procrastinating :) Winter looms...

ricola
10-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Anyone know if this trim needs to be replaced when changing the windsheild? I have a cracked windsheild.

genphreak
10-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Anyone know if this trim needs to be replaced when changing the windsheild? I have a cracked windsheild.If you have rust under there, be sure to fix and replace the seal. Do not use or let the repairer use silicone on the metal work; urethane ONLY. Silicone will cause rust as the water seeps in under it and cannot escape as apparently it does or does not with urethane (ie black goo, not the clear crap used on houses and fish-tanks...) :) Nick

gale
10-28-2006, 10:44 PM
If the old trim isn't brittle and doesn't break when they take it out to replace the windshield, then it can probably be reused. Make sure they replace the clips before putting in the new windshield.

New trim strips are still available and are $115 ea. (ouch! :( ) at BavAuto. I think I paid $95 incl. shipping from BMA 2 years ago.

93 525 Paul
10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Definitely let us know. Mine is crumbling and I'm procrastinating :) Winter looms...

I will definitely do so. Didn't think mine would self destruct. It started to lift in the middle across the top of the windshield because the plastic retainers on the windshield cracked. On a '93 that has lived through 13 San Joaquin Valley (the BIG valley, you know) blistering hot summers, I should have known better. I guess I can tell myself that the original was crumbling.
On the BavAuto vs. BMA, uh, well OUCH!!! I can't believe how much money I wasted buying parts at BavAuto before I discovered this board and subsequently because of it, BMA and Autohaus Arizona. Yikes. Hundreds and hundreds of wasted dollars using BavAuto. On a Bosch fuel pump alone for the 525 the diff was a hundy.
One fellow who will never ever buy anything from BavAuto = me. Painful to keyboard about it actually. (sniff.)

shogun
10-29-2006, 09:45 PM
I am also usually buying from autohausaz.com or from a source in Germany where I can get the Meyle parts quite cheap.
But I have recently checked prices at rockauto, they have quite a number of reman parts such as starter motors, alternators etc.
Worth to check prices there too.
http://www.rockauto.com/

93 525 Paul
11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
New trim strips are still available and are $115 ea. (ouch! :( ) at BavAuto. I think I paid $95 incl. shipping from BMA 2 years ago.

Yes, once again BMA kicks BavAuto. BMA has 'em, but hold onto your shorts, they are $100 each. The middle cup piece is $9 and the clamps that go onto the windshield are $2.25 each (there are 14 of those, I believe.) :(

NY535iManual
11-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I have the dreaded trim strip lift, but haven't taken the time to fix it yet. Perhaps a stupid question: Do you have to actually remove the windshield to replace the clips, or can you kind of "sneak" them under there?

93 525 Paul
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I have the dreaded trim strip lift, but haven't taken the time to fix it yet. Perhaps a stupid question: Do you have to actually remove the windshield to replace the clips, or can you kind of "sneak" them under there?

Fix it before you spend $300 you needn't. (Ask me blah blah blah)
No, the clips are on pretty securely, but they are outboard of the windshield to body seal. A hard plastic or hardwood tool seems to be the solution to getting them off of there.

mattyb
11-08-2006, 03:56 AM
No, the clips are on pretty securely, but they are outboard of the windshield to body seal. A hard plastic or hardwood tool seems to be the solution to getting them off of there.
i would like to know exactly how you did this. i tried it when i had to do mine and it appeared that they were securely fixed from under the screen and had to shimmy a bit off with a stanley knife. have you actually done this and if so do you have any pics? would be interested to see them as i would not want to do what i had to do last time if it ever happened again.

Thanks

93 525 Paul
11-08-2006, 08:21 PM
i would like to know exactly how you did this. i tried it when i had to do mine and it appeared that they were securely fixed from under the screen and had to shimmy a bit off with a stanley knife. have you actually done this and if so do you have any pics? would be interested to see them as i would not want to do what i had to do last time if it ever happened again.
Thanks

I did pull one off of the windshield before the trim pieces were destroyed (wife driving on freeway.) My intention was to get a bunch of the clips, but that didn't happen quickly enough so now I get to replace the whole deal.
When I do the rest (crosses fingers) I will shoot a pic or two. New trim hasn't arrived yet so I haven't pulled the rest.

93 525 Paul
11-08-2006, 09:30 PM

i would like to know exactly how you did this. i tried it when i had to do mine and it appeared that they were securely fixed from under the screen and had to shimmy a bit off with a stanley knife. have you actually done this and if so do you have any pics? would be interested to see them as i would not want to do what i had to do last time if it ever happened again.Thanks

(Clears throat) Well, here is the straight story. The original clips are in fact in between the windshield and the ws to body seal. I have gotten several of them off intact, while an equal number were broken while removing them. Usually one of the two legs breaks off and is left between the seal and the ws. I've removed those pieces with nn pliers.
I don't have the new ones yet, but am anticipating that I will either be able to monkey them around enough to get the "legs" back into the gaps left by the original clips OR I will have to do the Stanley knife maneuver.

93 525 Paul
11-10-2006, 08:22 PM
just in bubble wrap, so both my hundred dollar (US dammit) trim pieces arrived bent. #@$%. Called BMA and they were more than cool and pledged to ship another set quickly.
The clips are going to need the Stanley knife treatment before they will go in. The original clips were definitely installed before the windshield was mated to the body. Yikes. Old one is on the left. The breaks were so clean and consisten, I didn't realize there was a part of the legs that loops back around. I think I will make the new ones look like the old and rely on German over-engineering. The clip action and the double sided tape (very tenacious) should be puh-lenty.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o284/pmcdougal/DSC02198.jpg

begeta50
11-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Do you have any instructions of how to replace the windshield. I need to replace my, so tomorrow I am going to get one from a guy who is parting out his car. I do not know how to take it off, so I need any help the I can get. Please let me know if what kind of tools do I need, and where can I buy them.
Thank you.