PDA

View Full Version : It died and won't run

BIGRED
10-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I was driving, floored it, passing gear started to loose power, engine light came on. Won't run. Try's to start but won't run right.

No noise.

Stomp test = Oxygen sensor #1.

Can that keep it from running?

If that is it, where is Oxygen sensor #1 located?

Thanks in advance.
Don
94 530it

Boone.Msi
10-28-2006, 07:52 PM
hmm, dosent seem like that should kill it. If it is an o2 sensor just change them both. real easy if you rent an o2 sensor socket.

632 Regal
10-28-2006, 08:46 PM
sounds like more to it than an O2 sensor. Reboot the computer and then see if it runs. If so run til you get the cel light and recheck the code. Dont rush into replacing them yet.

If it lost power during a romp it could very likly be fuel related such as pump/filter.

BillionPa
10-29-2006, 12:04 AM
if the fuel pump died while running hard, it would run on pure lean and the car would probably see that as the O2 sensor going off its rocker.

BIGRED
10-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Fuel is not the problem at least up to the rail. I checked it at the pump and the hose that connects to the rail.

(rubbing head...taking Advil)

Don

BillionPa
10-29-2006, 04:02 PM
DME relay? (probably not if you get an O2 error)

crank position sensor?

BIGRED
10-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I guess the first question I should ask is.....

Are the codes specific and of value? OR Do you have to hunt down mechanical problems if and the codes are a guide.

Thanks
Don

BillionPa
10-29-2006, 08:24 PM
the codes are just what the computer determines as wrong, if it throws a code for the air flow sensor, it could be a vacuum leak even with a perfectly working sensor. so..... its not extremely concise.

the best bet is to fix all the obviously worn down parts and parts with questionable age.

12 years on a car = things arent working the way they are supposed to.

BIGRED
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
the best bet is to fix all the obviously worn down parts and parts with questionable age.

12 years on a car = things arent working the way they are supposed to.

To my surprise, there is so much plastic used under the hood, I don't know where to begin. I want it to be reliable and am willing to go through it and replace those items that given 12 years or heat need replacing, providing that is a financially reasonable approach.

Thanks
Don