PDA

View Full Version : What steering fluid for BMW 540?

bbig119
10-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I've read through postings on the forum and gather that there are atleast two different types of steering fluid that are used in M60s. Its not clear to me from what's on the cap of the resevoir which one I need.

in the center of the cap the letters ZF are etched. On the outside edge the code PA 6 is in smaller letters.

I've snapped some picts of the cap, but they're kinda crappy and doubt they'll help clear the issue.

Fetch
10-28-2006, 02:35 PM
No sticker on the cap?

99.9% chance yours will take 'Pentosin CHF11S', however let some others post to make sure :)

zman-95-540i
10-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Mine take Pentosin CHF 11s. I think Napa stocks it.

bbig119
10-28-2006, 02:51 PM
I don't see a sticker. Here's the image of the cap that I took. The PA 6 is hard to read but you can see where it is in the image. You can also see that I have a slow leak coming from the resevoir that I need to take care of at some point. Should I look into a new hose and clamps?

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3184/img3979qd0.jpg

Thanks for your help

zhandax
10-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Napa stocks it.How much does Napa want for a liter?

Incantation
10-28-2006, 05:15 PM
there are two zf fluids that from my understanding are different; using the wrong one can ruin the power steering so be careful. i would call the dealer and ask them.

Traian
10-28-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't know of any ZF power steering fluids. That doesn't look like the stock cap. There are two Pentosin fluids, and one is for self levelling. My car takes Pentosin CHF 11S and does not have SL. and Napa in Canada does not stock it. Only the BMW dealer afaik. It is $35 CAD per litre here, but stuff in the US is probably cheaper.

Bill R.
10-28-2006, 06:13 PM
I don't see a sticker. Here's the image of the cap that I took. The PA 6 is hard to read but you can see where it is in the image. You can also see that I have a slow leak coming from the resevoir that I need to take care of at some point. Should I look into a new hose and clamps?

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/3184/img3979qd0.jpg

Thanks for your help

zman-95-540i
10-28-2006, 07:18 PM
It wasn't cheap. I think around $20 a litre.

Qsilver7
10-28-2006, 07:25 PM
My car takes Pentosin CHF 11S and does not have SL
when you screw the lid off of your PS reservoir...is there an integrated dip stick in the lid?

I ask, because on the 7 series BMWs that I've seen...the ones that use Pentosin do NOT have dip sticks integrated into the lid...and there is a screen at the top of the reservoir once the lid is off. The 7s with the regular suspension that use ATF...there IS an integrated dipstick when you remove the lid.

Perhaps its the same on the 5 series...your answer may help clarify it in addition to identifying that your's does take Pentosin. :D

Also, do you have ASC+T? I believe the 540i/6 that have ASC+T uses Pentosin, too. The 2 types of reservoirs are distinctive as well:

(reservoir on left uses ATF...reservoir on right uses Pentosin w/rear leveling suspension)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/n/s/4.png

(reservoir that uses Pentosin - 540i/6 w/ASC+T)
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/n/s/8.png

Fetch
10-28-2006, 07:25 PM
My cap has the ZF on it too from what my memory says.
With a green 'ring' sticker around the ZF stating CHF11S only.

I got my chf11s from the dealer, $22/quart

yaofeng
10-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I think we went over this in a previous thread. It is not entiirely true that 540's which use Pentosin have the shape of reservoir you pictured. Mine has the bottle similar to my 525 (item #1). The cap has a measuring stick. And it uses Pentosin CHF11S.

I bought from AutoHaus at $18 a liter.

bbig119
10-28-2006, 07:59 PM
My resevoir is like that described by yaofeng. Its the first one pictured(#1), and the lid has a dipstick. I also have ACS+T in the car.

I sent an email to the PO in hopes that me may be able to tell me what's in it.

Bill, I'll check on the color of the fluid tomorrow when its light out. I should have done it today.

DueyT
10-28-2006, 11:05 PM
E34 540s (and 530s) all take Pentosin CHF11 (my ETK confirms this)

Cheers,
Duey

zhandax
10-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Like yaofeng, my 540i automatic has a resevoir like drawing #1, a built-in dipstick, and "use only CHF11S" on the cap.

If you are on the east coast, buybimmerparts.com has CHF11S for $19 /liter. If you have to to pay shipping, it may be cheaper than autohaus.

bbig119
10-29-2006, 03:08 PM
I took a look at the steering fluid today. I don't know what its supposed to look like new, but this has the color or slightly used oil. Its got a yellowish color when thin, but has a greyish/brown color when there is volume to it. At what I looked at, I was able to see through it.

On another note, I'm going to need some new clutch fluid too, what should I use for that?

Bill R.
10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
that you have pentosin chf11s in your system. If your car were older it could have 7 but the newer cars use 11

I took a look at the steering fluid today. I don't know what its supposed to look like new, but this has the color or slightly used oil. Its got a yellowish color when thin, but has a greyish/brown color when there is volume to it. At what I looked at, I was able to see through it.

On another note, I'm going to need some new clutch fluid too, what should I use for that?

bbig119
10-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks Bill. The color is certainly closer to a pale green, and definitely not red. From previous threads its not clear to me whether I can get away with a simple remove/replace, or if I should drain the system and fill it with new stuff. I know I need to address the slow leak at some point, and I've read that there's a screen somewhere in the resevoir or line that can get clogged and might be a good idea to clean or replace, but as a quick fix for the short term, I'd just like to make the groaning go away.

genphreak
10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks Bill. The color is certainly closer to a pale green, and definitely not red. From previous threads its not clear to me whether I can get away with a simple remove/replace, or if I should drain the system and fill it with new stuff. I know I need to address the slow leak at some point, and I've read that there's a screen somewhere in the resevoir or line that can get clogged and might be a good idea to clean or replace, but as a quick fix for the short term, I'd just like to make the groaning go away.The resovoir is like $12 with the filter inside it. I doubt the filter is clogged, they are a sealed system. The hoses tend to leak- and the resovoirs too when they get old.

Mine uses ATF, so I used the same Castrol synthetic I put in the tranny. :) The power steering does not get very hot or take much strain, so I think the fluids tend to last a long time...

uginer
10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
For that car you need the same oil as i use for my 530. The hydrolic steering fluid that you can buy at any bmw dealer.