PDA

View Full Version : Removing charcoal canister...

Jon K
10-28-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey guys - removed my charcoal canister from the car. There are two lines that go from it. One line goes to a hardline back to the fuel tank, this is the "vent" i believe and i left it open in the engine bay toward the ground with some window screen over it so bugs won't crawl inside.

The other line goes from the Throttle Body to a one-way valve (it looks like) with an electrical connection there. I removed this line and capped it at the throttle body (so I don't suck in more air) and unplugged the one-way valve from the car. Any problems with all of this?

BillionPa
10-28-2006, 02:58 AM
nope, although i would leave the valve plugged in so the car doesnt think..... oh wait you have MS, nevermind!

only thing i can recommend is to actually leave the canister in and just disconnect the line to the throttle body. that will lower the amount of moisture the fuel can absorb. and also prevents your fuel from leaving the tank when you arent looking.

Antrieb
10-28-2006, 09:00 AM
What is the point of removing it?

Jon K
10-28-2006, 10:42 AM
nope, although i would leave the valve plugged in so the car doesnt think..... oh wait you have MS, nevermind!

only thing i can recommend is to actually leave the canister in and just disconnect the line to the throttle body. that will lower the amount of moisture the fuel can absorb. and also prevents your fuel from leaving the tank when you arent looking.

I can't fit the canister because of my intercooling pipe. I've read on bimmerforums a ton of track guys don't run the canister with no bad side effects.

Fetch
10-28-2006, 11:53 AM
What is the point of removing it?

seconded

Jon K
10-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I can't fit the canister because of my intercooling pipe. ...

BillionPa
10-28-2006, 11:37 PM
OTHER than his reason, the only reason to remove it is to block a potential vacuum leak before it starts.

the canister/valve does a few things:
prevents gas fumes from evaporating from the tank into the atmosphere.
allows captured fumes to be reused by the engine.
lowers fuel tank vacuum pressure without adding water or contaminants.
improves cold start capability.

removing it WILL cause your car to fail a state emissions test if found, not because your exhaust mixture will change, but because its a federal requirement to have it in there.

Jon, i would relocate it, the hose going to the canister goes to a pipe under the car, which in turn goes to another hose and into the fuel expansion tank. it can be put there. most people wouldnt notice the effects of not having it, but its better to keep it.

Jon K
10-28-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah - this isn't something everyone should do. I am not worried about failing inspection - this car will never pass inspection, no cats, no canister, no nothin.

Antrieb
10-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Cool, gotta have the intercooler piping!