PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Problems

IPBR21054
10-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi to tell the truth i have never used this site before and would like some help as i have a small problem but on holiday and need to sort it out if i can before i go home.
Any help/advice would be nice.

BMW 520i se model 1990 e34 shape manual transmission.

When i am in neutral and want to put it in reverse i move the gearstick to the left,push the stick down and then forward now in reverse no problem BUT on our trip today something has happened in that i do not need to push the stick down anymore,thus if i push the stick to the left and then forward without pushing down it goes into reverse.
I now have to judge how far left i go otherwise it is a gamble as if when i push it forward i have selected first or reverse.
Looking under the car i can see a small rod about 2foot long which feels ok with no broken pieces etc and looks quite rigid.
There is also a long aluminium bar which the gearstick sits into and has a nylon bush in it.
This also looks and feels ok but i assume something must be wrong with it because i would assume that where the gearstick fits into the nylon bush/housing within the end of the aluminium bar must be something to stop first being selected when you want reverse or vice versa.This i think is then broken but i only drive the car and you are the experts.
Has anyone had this problem or know what the problem is.
I have a funeral to attend on monday i do not want to have an accident by selecting the wrong gear.

Karl
10-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Two standard things to check
- bushings in the shift linkage--standard wear items
- bolts that hold the shifter extension to the back of the transmission--they've been known to come loose