PDA

View Full Version : E34 Aftermarket Air Intake - Your Thoughts?

scyrusurcys
10-27-2006, 12:37 AM
I am aware that an aftermarket cold air (or just outside temp. air) intake will not affect the performance on a 540i, but I was curious to know the sound difference that it makes. Those who have heard/bought it, please describe the result of the installation. Thanks!

swenpro
10-27-2006, 12:44 AM
The PO put a K&N "hot-air" intake on mine (no cover)... proly isn't helpful for power, but it makes a nice sucking sound when you stomp on it! :D

Michael999
10-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Ive got a K&N pod on my old volvo, it sounded fantastic when the car started to suck (mind you the volvo doesnt have much power at all compared to the 535).
But as soon as you get a slightly aftermarket exhaust the pod swooshing sound completely disappears.
I noticed ZERO change in performance, and hence i wont be wasting my money on one for the E34, not unless i want to cut a big vent in the bonet to actually give it air.

scyrusurcys
10-27-2006, 01:26 AM
i wont be wasting my money on one for the E34, not unless i want to cut a big vent in the bonet to actually give it air.

You wouldn't need to cut a vent anywhere. I would just remove the passenger's side high-beam light.

Thanks for the answers guys. If I get about $50 to spare, I might break down and buy one. I'd like to see what my car would sound like with one.

Michael999
10-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah, well you COULD do that, but i like my 4 lights :)
Beetos has a vent in his hood (tho im pretty sure its for his snail tho).

Thayne
10-27-2006, 01:42 AM
The PO put a K&N "hot-air" intake on mine (no cover)... proly isn't helpful for power, but it makes a nice sucking sound when you stomp on it! :D

Pics of intake kit?

BigKriss
10-27-2006, 02:07 AM
I didn't notice any change in induction roar from inside the cabin.

You wouldn't need to cut a vent anywhere. I would just remove the passenger's side high-beam light.

Thanks for the answers guys. If I get about $50 to spare, I might break down and buy one. I'd like to see what my car would sound like with one.

Michael999
10-27-2006, 02:16 AM
What air filter do you have kris, is it the stock box piped to the grill? or have you got something completely different?

BigKriss
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8928&highlight=cold+air+intake

What air filter do you have kris, is it the stock box piped to the grill? or have you got something completely different?