PDA

View Full Version : OT, what computer operating system do you have?

Yiorgos
10-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, what operating system do you have on your computer? I made the poll multiple-choice, since some people may have more than one computer with different operating systems on them.

Fetch
10-25-2006, 10:24 PM
This should be a poll :)

XP Pro SP2 - I love it, and swear by it :)

I also mess around with linux distros (Ubuntu, SuSE)

I have tried a recent build of Vista....fancy graphics stuff didn't work :(

Ran emulated G3 OS X on this computer, haven't gotten any OS X x86 versions to work, but I've tried.

Yiorgos
10-25-2006, 10:26 PM
This should be a poll :)

XP Pro SP2 - I love it, and swear by it :)

I also mess around with linux distros (Ubuntu, SuSE)

Ran emulated G3 OS X on this computer, haven't gotten any OS X x86 versions to work, but I've tried.

You're too quick for me, you must have posted when I was entering in all the options in the poll ;)

Also I should make it clear that you should vote for operating systems you use often! If you have a machine that you just stuff around on that has OSx86 on it that you boot up once every 6 months, it's not really using it.

Fetch
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM
You're too quick for me, you must have posted when I was entering in all the options in the poll ;)

Also I should make it clear that you should vote for operating systems you use often! If you have a machine that you just stuff around on that has OSx86 on it that you boot up once every 6 months, it's not really using it.

haha, wow....Glad you remembered the winfred option...I forgot it in my last poll

bigtisas
10-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Could you add Sun Solaris to the list?

GoldenOne
10-25-2006, 11:04 PM
what about RC2 of vista?? works good so far...

Yiorgos
10-25-2006, 11:08 PM
Sorry guys, if I could edit polls then I would add Sun Solaris and "other" for people using less mainstream operating systems...

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-26-2006, 02:21 AM
on an Univax 16 BIT core memory tape back up system.

Who remembers DOS, Pascal, Fortran.......Machine language? .....Hexadecimal?

Scheiss! it's so easy now

Yiorgos
10-26-2006, 02:27 AM
on an Univax 16 BIT core memory tape back up system.

Scheiss! it's so easy now

I learnt/used DOS, Pascal, QBASIC and hexadecimal counting back in the day of high school, and had to learn "machine language" (assembler for Motorola 68HC12 microprocessors) in university -- I hated it, much prefered the higher-level programming languages such as Borland C++.

rob101
10-26-2006, 02:29 AM

DOS hard?
remembers fortran? ahhhh there are still programs that use inputs in fortran. LS-Dyna does for one.
Fortran isn't all dead.

F4Phantom
10-26-2006, 03:25 AM
i want to know who still uses 3.11!

spyrot1
10-26-2006, 07:14 AM
It's my line of work, so I use most of them. I even have a new MacBook running OSX and Windows XP together (need to run Outlook on a Mac).

Yiorgos
10-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Spyrot, are you using BootCamp to boot into Windows on your MacBook, or do you use Parallels Desktop?

spyrot1
10-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Spyrot, are you using BootCamp to boot into Windows on your MacBook, or do you use Parallels Desktop?

I'm using Parallels with a full copy of XP. I've tried Crossover, but it dosn't support RPC over HTTP for Outlook. So far Parallels works very well, the only down side is the cost. You need to buy Parallels, and a full version of XP.

So far it's working well, I can run the full version on MS Office 2003, but still have OSX available. Was using Entourage, but Entourage is a performance pig compared to Outlook. If you must have a Mac but need to connect to a corpoate network, I would greatly suggest Parallels with XP. The cool thing about it is that you can switch to full screen XP and hide OSX. it freaks people out to see Windows on a MacBook...

ryan roopnarine
10-26-2006, 07:56 AM
poll choices are teh suck!1!1 i use windawz 2000, the only operating system with a high performance vee 6 engine.

DanDombrowski
10-26-2006, 08:15 AM
What do you use LS-Dyna for?

DanDombrowski
10-26-2006, 08:16 AM
Im using RC1 on my laptop right now, I was planning on skipping RC2 and getting the corporate relase when it comes out soon.

rob101
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
What do you use LS-Dyna for?
I think at the time it was simulating air-bags, I think quite a few Computational Fluid Dynamics programs use it as well.
basically they are engineering programs. I think there are new versions of fortan anyway.

GoldenEagleFan
10-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Spyrot,

I'm new to the Mac world, just purchased a Mac Pro for home and loving it...I'm running Parallels for my Windows application and having trouble increasing the size of my Virtual Machine. I've used the Parallels tool to increase the hard drive, it show up in the VM configuration window as my new size, but Windows won't recognize the new siize. I've tried diskpart in Windows but it gives me an error message saying the disk isn't expandable...Any thoughts?

saj3n
10-26-2006, 06:16 PM
I've got RC2 also, I LOVE IT! :-D Can't wait to put on my laptops... :)

pundit
10-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I'm using a steam powered abacus and a chimpanzee to stoke the boiler.
Costs me a ****in' fortune a bananas!

Yiorgos
10-26-2006, 06:57 PM
A banana already costs a fortune to start off with ;)

spyrot1
10-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Spyrot,

I'm new to the Mac world, just purchased a Mac Pro for home and loving it...I'm running Parallels for my Windows application and having trouble increasing the size of my Virtual Machine. I've used the Parallels tool to increase the hard drive, it show up in the VM configuration window as my new size, but Windows won't recognize the new siize. I've tried diskpart in Windows but it gives me an error message saying the disk isn't expandable...Any thoughts?

Not really sure if I have an answer...it's supposed to expand on it's own when you need more space. Could be that if your disk is fragmented it may cause it to not expand.

The best way to enlarge the partition would be to remove the existing VM, create a new one with your expanded size, then re-install XP and partition and format on that larger size. I haven't tried this, but it does make sense that it would work.