PDA

View Full Version : transmission quote

artemis626
10-25-2006, 07:26 PM
I just got a quote from the mechanic for a rebuilt transmission for $3K. Does that sound right? Seems a little steep to me.

swenpro
10-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Check out Kirt Koeller's prices at http://www.autosportsunlimited.com/trans.html
They include a rebuild using the correct kit, dyno testing, and installation (i think)

Kalevera
10-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Get a ZF OEM remanufactured unit from the dealer. Most independent shops will charge $2500 or thereabouts INSTALLED. It comes with a two year, unlimited mileage warranty covering parts and labor serviceable at any BMW dealership in the country.

There are also a number of sources selling the OEM remans with longer warranties. One that comes to mind is Jasper. I believe they recently started offering them with a 3 year warranty, but who knows if it's just a parts warranty or if it covers labor, as the dealers do.

Unless the shop doing the work is one of the handful that knows what they're doing, I wouldn't consider getting anything but the OEM reman.

artemis626
10-27-2006, 02:44 PM
I didn't think to check with the dealer. I'll call one and get a quote as well. thanks. the shop I went to is pretty reputable and specializes in german autos.

Now I'm wondering, is this car, the '90 535i in general, is worth investing in a new transmission. Perhaps I should just trade it in and get a newer car. I do really enjoy this car though from styling to driving. I'm torn. realistically how much more life is left in her?

Kalevera
10-27-2006, 08:44 PM
If the shop that offered the quote isn't already on the list, you might check http://www.bimrs.org for other local shops and get another estimate.

The dealer will charge a lot to do this kind of work, and they'll likely have the new guy do it (incorrectly) because the old timers don't like working on old cars. My advice is to buy the reman on your own and have it installed, if the shop insists on doing an in house rebuild backed by a bad warranty.

The E34 535 is one of the more reliable cars ever produced, but they require maintenance. Most cars on the US used market are sold with lots of deferred maintenance, but these issues aren't usually apparent to used car buyers. You'll do a suspension, and likely a head gasket soon if those areas haven't been addressed.

Mine has a touch under 240k on it at the moment; I've seen, driven, and worked on plenty with similar and higher numbers.

There are two questions to ask yourself when considering a change of car. One relates to preference, the other to value. Do I like the car? Is the cost of owning this car worth the money I'll spend on it, or would my money be better spent on something else?

632 Regal
10-27-2006, 08:59 PM
man thats one of the most prolific things I have read here in a while.

I wish you would come back to us Lowell, we really could use the brotherhood.

swenpro
10-27-2006, 09:24 PM
man thats one of the most prolific things I have read here in a while.

I wish you would come back to us Lowell, we really could use the brotherhood.

amen.