PDA

View Full Version : Love my new bimmer, a few q's though

peregrine40
10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Okay so I just bought a 1995 525i and I love it. Everything about the car is incredible, but I do have a few questions.

1. Power is great but faster revs would be nice? Chip? Has anyone tried a tranny chip?

2. What other performance options are there? Can you use another M50 supercharger kit on these cars? Cams? Stroker kit?

3. Ok so my OBC is impossible to see without my lights turned on and even then its dim...problem?

4. The other day I was er...driving spiritedly to get a feel for the car and as I came around a tight right corner, I heard a series of very high pitch very fast beeps, or squeels in succession and Im almost positive it wasnt the tires. What could it be?

5. My only complaint is dings in the door panels, are there any replacements?

Denton
10-25-2006, 07:36 PM
Since it's an auto, give it a few weeks to adjust to your driving style. I've had mine for two weeks and it feels like a different car.

Jim Conforti engine chip is a must. Dinan has a tranny chip but the stock one is fine to me.

I think you can do an M50 supercharger kit. S50/S52 cams will work. Not sure about stroker, but you can just put an S50 in there.

The light in the OBC has burned out.

Do you have ASC? That might have been it. I don't have it so I have no clue.

Get a guy to do paintless dent removal. The PO did it to mine, looks brand new.

SnakeyesTx
10-25-2006, 07:42 PM
I'll field question 3 and 4.

3. There's a bulb inside the OBC. There have been a few posts with the correct part number, as the dealers number is a 6 volt light and not correct (as I recall). Its not a bulb you can walk into auto-zone and get, but I believe the bulb at the dealer was under 1 dollar US.

4. When you took this turn, was it at the 59th minute of the hour about to go to the top of the next hour? The OBC will chime at that point if you see the >>> marks in the display. Is the car lowered? Alignment okay? It could be the inside edge of the tire rubbing something? Try to centralize the source of the sound (inside or outside) then investigate from there.

632 Regal
10-25-2006, 08:01 PM
good point about the time alarm, mine goes off about 3 minutes before the hour. Hate that thing scares me actually, I hate beeps and gongs.

peregrine40
10-26-2006, 12:43 AM
No I dont think it was that but Ill look into it...it was a very fast succession of 'beeps' very very high pitched. I had the tire pretty close to the shoulder maybe the tire slipped on some gravel but it didnt sound like rubber. Does the asc beep when engaged? It didnt make sense so I took two more corners, one in each direction, even faster but I couldnt replicate it. Ill look into those obc bulbs...the dings in the door are pretty sharp little dings, like she hit it with the edge of a box or something, could it still be removed?

peregrine40
10-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Bump.

brosher
10-27-2006, 08:04 PM
I also think the beeps were the hourly chime. I think I read that it goes off at :59 so you know to turn on the news. It's pretty loud and always startles me because I think it's my radar detector so I turned it off. While on the clock press the s/r to toggle this feature on/off.

The bulbs in the OBC are one of these, I believe the tan one. Can someone back me up here?
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=npvpmy45ffvdngeduv2n2vfb&makeid=800003@BMW&modelid=1012442@540I&year=1995&cid=13@Body,%20Trim%20%26%20Lighting&gid=2812@Instrument%20Light

BillionPa
10-27-2006, 11:33 PM
ASC doesnt beep, but you can hear the buzzing of the throttle actuator. the light doesnt always go on, only when its actually activating the throttle. it will buzz sometimes as it turns on but decides it doesnt need to do anything. and sometimes it will only blink but not buzz, as thats when it corrects the rear tires torque balance with the brakes.

Jon K
10-28-2006, 12:49 AM
you could run an E36 supercharger and maybe only have to modify minor things, but trust me, turbo is so much better than supercharger. been there, done both.

Qsilver7
10-28-2006, 10:19 AM
if the HOUR MEMO is on an icon appears in the display...you can see it in the pic below on the far right after the displayed time.

To turn it off...press the HR/DATE button to where the time is displayed, then press the S/R button. This will toggle the icon off/on. If the icon is displayed, the HOUR memo will emit 3 "pips" 15 seconds before each hour (0:59:45)

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/q/original/E34%20OBC%20Hour%20Memo%20symbol.jpg

Qube
10-28-2006, 10:53 AM
If you haven't, you may want to 'consider' a shogun reset such that it starts COMPLETELY with a blank slate, ready for you.

peregrine40
10-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Shogun reset? Anyway I went to look at my brakes and where the pads are, are like...sunken in, as in there's a lip on the rotors on both the outside and the inside of the brake pad...problem, Im guessing? Also my friend is offering me some Racing Dynamics RGR 16" wheels that his friend bought hoping to fit his 70's bimmer but they didnt. Will they fit mine?

peregrine40
10-30-2006, 07:37 PM
bump.