PDA

View Full Version : Mystery connector question

brick8
10-25-2006, 06:37 PM
I am in the process of trying to figure out why the sunroof doesn't function at all in my new 1992 525iT. I checked the fuse (#32) under the rear seat and it looks ok. However, I did find an unplugged connector right next to the rear power distribution box. Does anyone here know what it does? Should I simply reconnect and see what happens or will I mess something up?

Here is a picture (I have circled both ends of the connector in red):

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/frladner/album/576460762331744858/photo/294928803471292564/2

brick8
10-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, I plugged the mystery connector in. It must be related to the sunroof because now the roof seems to want to move when I press the switch. I say "wants" to move, because although it does make a sound,not much happens. Seems like something must be out of synch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-25-2006, 07:21 PM
is a load of fun.

Try to push the switch back & forth. don't just push it in...that makes it want go into auto close mode.

shogun
10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Probably the previous owner disconnected the plugs as it might always draw power and the battery get's empty?

Qsilver7
10-25-2006, 09:35 PM
ditto comment above...if you have an owners manual...please pull it out and read up on how to use the sunroof. Because of its complexity...you may be just pushing it once. If you were to stand outside the car, then reach in and push the button once...what you'll probably see is that the top panel is making its first move which is moving the rear end of the 1st panel up and over the 2nd panel.

The next move of the sunroof switch will set the sunroof in the motion that you've pushed the button...and either the front panel or rear panel will begin to move. But if you are sitting inside the car and you press the button just once...you won't see this happening...in fact, you won't see the panels move until the second press.

Please read your owners manual if you have one. :)

brick8
10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
OK, I have a manual but haven't made my way through the whole thing yet. I am a slow reader. Thanks for the advice. Will try it and get back to you.

ditto comment above...if you have an owners manual...please pull it out and read up on how to use the sunroof. Because of its complexity...you may be just pushing it once. If you were to stand outside the car, then reach in and push the button once...what you'll probably see is that the top panel is making its first move which is moving the rear end of the 1st panel up and over the 2nd panel.

The next move of the sunroof switch will set the sunroof in the motion that you've pushed the button...and either the front panel or rear panel will begin to move. But if you are sitting inside the car and you press the button just once...you won't see this happening...in fact, you won't see the panels move until the second press.

Please read your owners manual if you have one. :)

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-26-2006, 04:20 PM
clean the tracks with a silicon spray lube...clean and lube it well.

Check the gutter system to make sure it drains.

get a cup of water and carefully pour it into the corners of the gutters, just a little at a time...now stand back and see if water exits behind the front wheel or just in front of the rear wheel..if water sits in the gutter, you'll need to unplug them with a piece of wire running it gently though it to clear the drains.

Good luck

brick8
10-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, I tried everything, including reading the manual that came with the car. No dice. There is no movement at all, just a brief sound, no matter which way I push the switch. I just ordered a Bentley manual, I am hoping there will be more info in there. Wife needs the car tomorrow so I am going to quit for a while. Good news is that while poking around the car I found an alpine cd changer in one of the rear storage bins that actually works.

Thanks to all!

632 Regal
10-26-2006, 09:04 PM
be thankful its shut and not open!

Ferret
10-27-2006, 04:20 AM
When I acquired my 525i the sunroof on it was seized solid...

You'd push the button, it'd make a noise and then stall completely, you could hear the motor stall.
The sunroof was actually seized in its tracks, and litterally one day I was so frustrated trying to get it to work that I 'Fixed' it. Fixing it involved getting hold of the sunroof metal through the fabric, pushing the open button and giving the roof a damned good yank when the motor started to stall...

*Crack* and it's been working spot on ever since.

Just a thought... try physically moving it as the motor does and it might be an obstruction that you can force it through...

Paul in NZ
10-27-2006, 04:55 AM
you could also try the spanner

Ferret
10-27-2006, 09:04 AM
you could also try the spanner

Couldnt be arsed taking all the head lining out...

brick8
10-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Do you remember which direction you pushed? Should I push the button in (up) and push up on the back of the front sunroof?

When I acquired my 525i the sunroof on it was seized solid...

You'd push the button, it'd make a noise and then stall completely, you could hear the motor stall.
The sunroof was actually seized in its tracks, and litterally one day I was so frustrated trying to get it to work that I 'Fixed' it. Fixing it involved getting hold of the sunroof metal through the fabric, pushing the open button and giving the roof a damned good yank when the motor started to stall...

*Crack* and it's been working spot on ever since.

Just a thought... try physically moving it as the motor does and it might be an obstruction that you can force it through...

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
the touring sunroof is a bit more complex than the sedan.

the two panels overlap on opening and can travel both forward and back to provide openings over either seats.

BimmerMeUp
10-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Here's a link to a document that will tell you everything you wanted to know about your roof and more:

http://www.e38.org/e34/touring_sun_roof.pdf

I've found it helpful in my quest to get mine functioning...

brick8
10-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Hence, my question. In which direction (and what part) should I push?

the touring sunroof is a bit more complex than the sedan.

the two panels overlap on opening and can travel both forward and back to provide openings over either seats.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2006, 03:04 PM
it's a keeper

brick8
10-27-2006, 03:04 PM
This really gives me something to work with!

Here's a link to a document that will tell you everything you wanted to know about your roof and more:

http://www.e38.org/e34/touring_sun_roof.pdf

I've found it helpful in my quest to get mine functioning...

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2006, 03:13 PM
the front one back a little and see if it starts to rise at the rear, to allow the rear panel to be slide forward and under the front.

brick8
10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Maybe before I start pushing and shoving on this thing I should try to get some kroil into the track area. I assume that the track must be gummed up and that is what is causing the "no go". What do you think? If so, where should I spray it (from below or above?)

the front one back a little and see if it starts to rise at the rear, to allow the rear panel to be slide forward and under the front.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
have to get it cracked open to reach the track.

Otherwise the weasel piss will just flow into the gutter system, or stain or the interior.

Paul in NZ
10-27-2006, 04:53 PM
does the touring have the option of winding by hand by using the winder under the panel by the front light?.The spanner( a long thin hex (allen key)wrench) may be there or in the toolkit

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-27-2006, 04:56 PM
got one in front & one in back

brick8
10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
according to the touring model supplement to the owner's manual, the allen key can only be used to close the sunroof. Does anyone know if that is true. Maybe I could "help" the motor with the allen wrench to open the thing.

brick8
10-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I was able to break it open by banging on the inner panel while rocking the switch. There was a bunch of old hardened lubricant that must have been acting like glue. I cleaned it up as suggested using some old rags, a small screwdriver and plenty of silicone lube. It seems to work very well now, although I am still concerned about the potential for a current drain (possible reason for disconnecting plug at rear pdb). I plan on visiting the local dealer parts department this week to see if they will sell me some bmw sunroof lube. Will keep you posted. Thanks again to all of you!!