PDA

View Full Version : leaky muffler

bigtisas
10-25-2006, 04:27 PM
I just bought my first E34. It's a 92 525ia. It's one owner but the owner didn't maintain it very well. I have been fixing minor problems (blocked washer, door brake, gas door hinge, etc.) by searching solutions from this forum. I have to say. This forum is GREAT.

Now I have another problem. My car's exhaust is a bit noiser than normal. It's probably a leaky muffler. What's the best way to out where the leak is? If there is a hole, I would like to patch it instead of getting a new muffler.

TIA

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
with a rag while the car is running, and listen for the hissing sound.

You'll also be able to feel the big ones by just passing you hand over the pipes.

bigtisas
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
with a rag while the car is running, and listen for the hissing sound.

You'll also be able to feel the big ones by just passing you hand over the pipes.

Thanks for the advise.

Chris'91'525i
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I just bought my first E34. It's a 92 525ia. It's one owner but the owner didn't maintain it very well. I have been fixing minor problems (blocked washer, door brake, gas door hinge, etc.) by searching solutions from this forum. I have to say. This forum is GREAT.

Now I have another problem. My car's exhaust is a bit noiser than normal. It's probably a leaky muffler. What's the best way to out where the leak is? If there is a hole, I would like to patch it instead of getting a new muffler.

TIA

More likely the muffler or resonator is rotted out internally, is what is causing the loud exhaust note.
At least thats how mine was. They looked like new on the outside, but the insides were totally rotted out.

bigtisas
11-05-2006, 02:59 AM
More likely the muffler or resonator is rotted out internally, is what is causing the loud exhaust note.
At least thats how mine was. They looked like new on the outside, but the insides were totally rotted out.

I might have the same situation. I couldn't find any leaks outside the muffler. The muffler looks new and no rust (california car). If the muffler is rotted out internally, I guess there is no way to repair it but to get a replacement?

Chris'91'525i
11-05-2006, 06:33 AM
I might have the same situation. I couldn't find any leaks outside the muffler. The muffler looks new and no rust (california car). If the muffler is rotted out internally, I guess there is no way to repair it but to get a replacement?

Yep, you will need a new one. Or try to find a good used one.
I found a new take off muffler from a 530i on eBay for dirt cheap. I just bought a new ANSA resonator online for $150 with free shipping.
It looks like pretty good unit for the price. I'll get it installed next week sometime.
Good luck on yours !!