PDA

View Full Version : My door handle cable broke, ****!

Jon K
10-25-2006, 02:14 PM
This morning at about... 745am, I went over to the class and pulled my door open and the lever just opened freely but the door did not unlatch. Rolled window down, opened from the outside. Here is what happened:

http://www.blowneuroz.com/jk/brokencable.jpg

So, does anyone have one?

SC David
10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Ha!! I've never heard of this happening in our cars. Sounds like you don't treat your doors and compartments very well.

JD525IA
10-25-2006, 02:19 PM
This happened to me a year ago. The part was cheap and the labor involved was not extensive. You basically want to remove the inner door panel and replace the cable. Takes about 1/2 hour. I thought there was a "how to"
write up somewhere on the internet.

GOOD LUCK!

blowneuroz.com/jk/brokencable.jpg

This morning at about... 745am, I went over to the class and pulled my door open and the lever just opened freely but the door did not unlatch. Rolled window down, opened from the outside. Here is what happened:

http://www.blowneuroz.com/jk/brokencable.jpg

So, does anyone have one?

Jon K
10-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Does BMA stock this part? Anyone have an idea of Part Number? No luck on realoem cant find the right one.

Found it on Real OEM

kyleN20
10-25-2006, 02:37 PM
nope, but my pass cable was disconected for some time, i finally got sicke of it and just reatached it, worked fine after that, looks like you might be able to use a cable crimp for a temperary solution

Jon K
10-25-2006, 04:15 PM
AutohausAZ stocks the part $5, $12 shipped priority - door panel is off and waiting for a new cable.

To anyone who has done this repair - do you have to unbolt the latch mechanism from the edge of the door in order to clip it onto the latch part?

saj3n
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
Hmmm... what a way to wake up and start the day! Maybe someone has a parts car around, or Pepboys might have some similar contraption...

P.S. How did you roll the window down?

Jon K
10-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Jasen - this is the cable that opens the door from the inside - I was inside the car when it snapped. I rolled the window down with the switch :)

I ordered the part from Autohaus should be here within the week - I don't drive the car much so it's fine.

saj3n
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Ahhhh.. Makes sense.. :-P I was thinking you were outside and it snapped...

That's true... I'd hate for that to happen, I drive this thing everyday!

kyleN20
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
i just pulled my panel back not even removing it and reattached it, it was very simple

Jon K
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
i just pulled my panel back not even removing it and reattached it, it was very simple

Bro, mine is broke in half. The wire looks as if it were cut.

GoldenOne
10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
same thing happened to me about a month ago, the stress point at the hook part sucks, its 4 bucks from the stealer, no biggie...if you really wanted too, you could make your own via fishing line and two hooks...