PDA

View Full Version : Car photo license question

Black 535i
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I think that may have been asked before but I have to wonder why people blur out their license plates in their photos that they post here? Your profile states your car, town and general area of residence so why hide. Unless of course you are wanted by Johnny Law or creditors. I have always found it somewhat curious this hiding of the plate but telling us everything else about yourselves in a profile.

Any answers would be great to illuminate or educate us on the reasons for this habit.

califblue
10-25-2006, 12:28 PM
one reason is here in California you call call in a give a plate number and report the automobile as a gross polluter:( you would have no recourse and be F'ed as long as you own the car

Black 535i
10-25-2006, 12:31 PM
That would suck. Glad we do not have that in Illinois.

Qube
10-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Some do it for the same reason for watermarking pictures. Since the forums (this one anyway) are indexed, a Google search will bring up your picture... to which others can use in eBay listings, etc... which are bad, but not as bad whereby your plate is there.

Anyway, I do it because it makes the pictures appear cleaner. On the track, it's a different story :)

Macv
10-25-2006, 02:04 PM
I do it because it makes the pictures appear cleaner.

Exactly why I do it, I smear the green background (disgusting Indiana plates) to match, yet take out the numbers.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I have a vanity plate that reads..

IMNASSO

Black 535i
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
...the song by Denis Leary called "I'm and *******"? Priceless.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
for those bad days

Jon K
10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Its a personal security thing - just like I cover my VIN on the dashboard and its scratched from the ID tag on the door jam. When I go to meets, I don't want hoodlums getting a key cut somehow. You apparently have never been on www.HondaTech.com

Alexlind123
10-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I think that may have been asked before but I have to wonder why people blur out their license plates in their photos that they post here? Your profile states your car, town and general area of residence so why hide. Unless of course you are wanted by Johnny Law or creditors. I have always found it somewhat curious this hiding of the plate but telling us everything else about yourselves in a profile.

Any answers would be great to illuminate or educate us on the reasons for this habit.

I have always had the same question as you, i guess they must have something to hide?

one reason is here in California you call call in a give a plate number and report the automobile as a gross polluter:( you would have no recourse and be F'ed as long as you own the car

Another reason Cali sucks...

Its a personal security thing - just like I cover my VIN on the dashboard and its scratched from the ID tag on the door jam. When I go to meets, I don't want hoodlums getting a key cut somehow. You apparently have never been on www.HondaTech.com

BMW dealers wont cut a key unless you have proof of ownership.

winfred
10-25-2006, 08:22 PM
http://members.cox.net/kitlou/dualls2.JPG
B516844
id post my e30 but i run a dealer plate on that :D

Jon K
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
BMW dealers wont cut a key unless you have proof of ownership.

uh huh, keep telling yourself that.

winfred
10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
ours won't and we are a fairly well known shop in town, it's a ****ing pain in the ass when we need a key

uh huh, keep telling yourself that.