PDA

View Full Version : Lots of exhaust

Macv
10-25-2006, 09:19 AM
So its getting colder up here (around 30 degrees). On startup my baby runs fine, but the drive to school and the short sit in the lot caused her to have a lot of smoke come from the exhaust and I mean A LOT. Is this normal?

Alexlind123
10-25-2006, 09:34 AM
yes, dont worry about it.

fkong777
10-25-2006, 09:35 AM
on a V8? Yes..

swenpro
10-25-2006, 10:36 AM
same car, same problem... just try to give her a "breather" at least once a week. Go for some highway driving and get everything up to operating temperature, this will burn off built-up condensation (the cause of so much exhaust) and prevent premature rusting.

Jon K
10-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I get this but for a different reason - my 3" exhaust tilts up at the back and I didn't put a drain hole in the exhaust tip so if it rains I get a nice collection of water in there and needless to say it freaks me out when i see huge vapor clouds and think my headgasket is gone.

31Hertz
10-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes, it sometimes looks like a smoke-screen. Fear not: normal... I sometimes catch myself checking other vehicles exhausts to see if they are putting out the steam clouds. Seems like most of the newer vehicles do the same, even if to a lesser extent. But if it increases when you rev or are accelerating, you may have a problem.

Macv
10-25-2006, 02:01 PM
But if it increases when you rev or are accelerating, you may have a problem.

It does, I'm not used to this as this is MY first v8. My mother's 2000 v8 doesn't smoke as bad (though maybe because it's newer) However, when accelerating I can completely cover the car behind me. Just today, after driving, I parked at my lot and the idle exhaust was extremely thick.

I recently installed HID's, and replaced a small section of radiator hose (lost some coolant while doing so) so I would guess that's effecting it a little.

I'll try to take a picture because I cannot convince myself it is normal.

Oh yeah... my temperature gauge is still reading normal heat, and I checked the engine bay for any extra noticable heat (which I found none).

Please convince me it's just the car. :)

pingu
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I had kittens for ages thinking the headgasket was going. 20,000 miles later I still get conspicuoulsy more smoke when warming up than most other cars - I guess it's just an idiosyncracy of the car.

BillionPa
10-28-2006, 12:37 AM
mine varies, some days i get none, some a lot. i attribute it to condensation build up in the muffler.

Paul in NZ
10-28-2006, 01:47 AM
relax it s normal,seriously mostly due to the massive exhaust systems,not only the V8s do it,it takes a good 20 minutes to get the exhausts hot on these cars