PDA

View Full Version : My ticket situation...

Jon K
10-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey guys, had my court hearing today where I represented myself (no lawyer) on an infraction the cop stated was 106 in a 55 and a careless driving ticket. The officer called me into the room before the hearing and wanted to hear what I had to say. I told him I didn't feel the speed was accurate and that I was falsely clocked at 106 - he gave me a lot of attitude and cut me off in talking etc. My mother was present which I am sure helped a lot - my mother, thankfully, is real supportive and knows I accept I was wrong etc., and stood behind me the whole time. The officer claimed that whilst leaving the BlockBuster parking lot I squeeled my tires and "broke traction with the road" through a left hand turn. I told him that I too heard that noise and suspected it was the other car he pulled over but no way did my tires squeal at all - I then said, if he had witnessed this alleged careless driving and the fact that the black car was traveling at a distance too close to my car, why did he let it escalate and pull the black car/me over at that point? He had no answer. He then proceded to tell me he followed me for "8 miles" yet I was stopped and pulled over only .92 miles from the BlockBuster video I left (can you say ********?). Anyway, he wasn't a push over by any means, but I got the ticket reduced from 106 in a 55 mph zone to a 85 in a 55 zone which means I do not lose my license for 15 days. The points are still there I think, but that's fine as my insurance doesn't change (says the insurance company) and thus there's no real problem.

I've learned from this - I am now a granny behind the wheel of my car (not that I wasn't previously!) and this will never happen again. I am just glad I represented myself and got the offense reduced rather than spending $1,000 for a laywer. The end.

stu1
10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Are you saying he clocked you at 106 MPH on a 55 MPH road? Didn't he have proof? Or was it just his word against yours?

632 Regal
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Good deal!

Jon K
10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Are you saying he clocked you at 106 MPH on a 55 MPH road? Didn't he have proof? Or was it just his word against yours?

He said he was using a timing device like VASCAR... except I never left third gear... which is limited to what, 89 mph? We didn't even get there.

saj3n
10-24-2006, 04:16 PM

Usually in instance like this, from my experience the officer probably said "the individual was clocked using a tracker device tuned by a blh blah blah...."

Remember, I said that showing up alone will get it reduced. :) I always do it, and save the money that would've gone to that lawyer. :) Good stuff Jon!

stu1
10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Just slightly OT (if I may), what's the rules in the States wrt speeding. Generally in the UK if you are clocked over 100MPH it's goodbye license time.

Jon K
10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
It goes by state. But technically, there is no "jail time" speed... just 31+ mph over the limit is 15 days suspension and 5 points on license. At 11 points in PA you get your license taken away. But we all know my E34 cannot do 100+.

stu1
10-24-2006, 04:30 PM
But we all know my E34 cannot do 100+.

:)

Zeuk in Oz
10-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Interesting system of justice.

At least it worked.

Thank goodness justice was done.

Michael999
10-24-2006, 05:21 PM
only 15days.. wow, i should move to PA..

Where i am, if i go 10km over the speed limit i lose my licent for 6months...

CharlesAFerg
10-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Interesting system of justice.

At least it worked.

Thank goodness justice was done.

In Oregon, if you go over 100mph you go to jail.

Michael999
10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
In Oregon, if you go over 100mph you go to jail.
yikes.. how long for?

Macv
10-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Great turnout!

Andrea K
10-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Hey guys, had my court hearing today where I represented myself (no lawyer) on an infraction the cop stated was 106 in a 55 and a careless driving ticket. The officer called me into the room before the hearing and wanted to hear what I had to say. I told him I didn't feel the speed was accurate and that I was falsely clocked at 106 - he gave me a lot of attitude and cut me off in talking etc. My mother was present which I am sure helped a lot - my mother, thankfully, is real supportive and knows I accept I was wrong etc., and stood behind me the whole time. The officer claimed that whilst leaving the BlockBuster parking lot I squeeled my tires and "broke traction with the road" through a left hand turn. I told him that I too heard that noise and suspected it was the other car he pulled over but no way did my tires squeal at all - I then said, if he had witnessed this alleged careless driving and the fact that the black car was traveling at a distance too close to my car, why did he let it escalate and pull the black car/me over at that point? He had no answer. He then proceded to tell me he followed me for "8 miles" yet I was stopped and pulled over only .92 miles from the BlockBuster video I left (can you say ********?). Anyway, he wasn't a push over by any means, but I got the ticket reduced from 106 in a 55 mph zone to a 85 in a 55 zone which means I do not lose my license for 15 days. The points are still there I think, but that's fine as my insurance doesn't change (says the insurance company) and thus there's no real problem.

I've learned from this - I am now a granny behind the wheel of my car (not that I wasn't previously!) and this will never happen again. I am just glad I represented myself and got the offense reduced rather than spending $1,000 for a laywer. The end.

You should learn to drive like me. Who would've thought I would be a better driver than you! *brushes shoulders off* :p

nizmainiac
10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
i thought that if you were double the speed limit here in the uk it was goodbye licence

Jon K
10-24-2006, 06:47 PM
You should learn to drive like me. Who would've thought I would be a better driver than you! *brushes shoulders off* :p

Andrea let me remind you... you drove on your Kumhos with almost no tire pressure and blew the rear out ;)

Andrea K
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Andrea let me remind you... you drove on your Kumhos with almost no tire pressure and blew the rear out ;)

Jonathan, let me remind you...I lived.

Jon K
10-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Jonathan, let me remind you...I lived.
:D Well thank goodness!

Now go write your papers and say hi to Maya Angelou

RockJock
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I've learned from this - I am now a granny behind the wheel of my car (not that I wasn't previously!) and this will never happen again. ---snip--- The end.

we're proud of you young kensy --- with respect for ones country comes respect for her laws .... ;)

Qube
10-24-2006, 08:37 PM
"I am now a granny behind the wheel of my car (not that I wasn't previously!)"

What granny has a snail under the hood? :) Or maybe you mean the type of granny with a lead foot.

KenB
10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Good to hear it worked out for you. Congrats on keeping your driving privileges.

I was constantly fighting to keep my license in NJ, the State Police can be Nazis here, and the judges know which ones are and give you the benefit of doubt, if you stand up and argue your side clearly.

Of course this was years ago before I started driving like a granny too.;)

mattyb
10-25-2006, 02:55 AM
good work on isolating the distance (.92) versus 8 mile. well done mate

E34-520iSE
10-25-2006, 03:33 AM
........ But we all know my E34 cannot do 100+.

Yeah, in first gear!;)

Glad you came away with a reduced penalty!

Shaun

rob101
10-25-2006, 05:11 AM
"I am now a granny behind the wheel of my car (not that I wasn't previously!)"

What granny has a snail under the hood? :) Or maybe you mean the type of granny with a lead foot.
A granny on her way to get her pension check?

Qube
10-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Does give me a wakeup call though. I routinely do 160-190kph and trust my soul to the Beltronics STi. Of course, never this speed whilst completely alone though.

Booster
10-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey guys, had my court hearing today

A THOUSAND dollars ?:( Jeez o pete tweeter.......its only 130.00$ here in Missouri for a non accident moving violation.WITH an attourney. The defensive driving class is another 25 and EVERYONE will learn from the class.Mostly what others perception of car/traffic reality can be...(shocking).
And zero points asessed to your record.Thus , no response or knowledge via Ins.co.:D
I am proud that you stood up to the "power monging" cop though ! Kudos for catching him lying boldfaced.
Vinny