PDA

View Full Version : Considering 525 with tranny problem. Should I?

Jesda
10-23-2006, 11:43 PM
A clean E34 M20 with an automatic. Seller describes it as "no slipping,some day no problem,other day up shift to early,like a stuck valve"

I'm going to take a look this week. Does it sound like something that could be resolved with a simple tranny flush, or something more serious?

Much thanks!

632 Regal
10-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Id say if you are up to replacing the trans and the assoiated expense go for it, if not than stay away.

could be simple as a selenoid problem but the trans could also be fried.

A clean E34 M20 with an automatic. Seller describes it as "no slipping,some day no problem,other day up shift to early,like a stuck valve"

I'm going to take a look this week. Does it sound like something that could be resolved with a simple tranny flush, or something more serious?

Much thanks!

swenpro
10-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Stay away. These auto boxes are often disposable after 100k if not maintenanced, and this is the problem I'm stuck with now. I'll proly be dropping a couple grand on a 'new' tranny soon :(

Fetch
10-24-2006, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't consider it.

JerseySi
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Depends on the cost of the car - If it's cheap enoughand in good enough condition apart from the box, then go for it!
Just plan for a 'box replacement, that way if it's more simple it's a bonus!
Example - I recently bought a 535i auto that only goes backwards, for £100.. alledgedly it comes with another (working) box, but I'm still to catch up with the guy & get it off him :s
Even If i spend £500 on another 'box, the car will be worth it when fixed..
Probably helps if you're handy with the spanners too ;)

O, and - show us pics!! :D

Jesda
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I dont own an E34 anymore, but love this forum!