PDA

View Full Version : Damn Dinan Chip!

Musictone
10-23-2006, 03:08 PM
I am a fairly new to the beemer world, I have a 1989 535IA with 130k on it which I purchased about 2 months ago. I did the head gasket job on it right after purchase because I noticed a lil oil leak without antifreeze (work done by a BMW master mechanic) also replaced a few front suspension parts (Thrust arms, lower control arms etc,) and the car ran beautifully. Now, this is where the sh** hits the fan, I installed a dinan chip #D900-3532 which was correct for my DME and It ran fine at first then after a while until the engine light came on at idle. When you press the gas the check engine light goes away when you take your foot off the gas, VOILA, the light comes back on again. NOW the car started to idle erractily after a few days so I removed the chip and put the original back but the idle problem and the check light doesnt go away. I'm thinking fuel injector or spark plug but I'd rather here some thoughts from this forum because you guys sound like you know what your doing.
I always use 92 octane gas from sunoco or hess gas stations all my life but that wasn't the problem. The mechanic said my plugs were fine and so was the head when he removed it, the seals on the dipstick seals are fine also.
I owned a '98 jaguar xj8 and got rid of it because I cant see myself paying $400 for a heater core and another $650 for labor for that car that only had 40k miles. I hope this is not what Im looking forward to with the beemer............

Once again, thanks for any helpful responses...

P.S. Just so you know the idle sounds like Brrr, Brr, Brr, Brr.

stu1
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
What code(s) are you getting? Anything to do with the O2 sensor?

632 Regal
10-23-2006, 04:31 PM
right, do a stomp test to get the codes. bet its some sort of air leak in the intake system somewhere, maybe a hose fell off. bet its 1212 or a 1213 lamda code.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
and clean the ICV, and throttle body.

KenB
10-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Tis the season for vacuum-intake leaks...

I just got a 1222 today, my O2 sensor is new. Will be looking tomorrow. I'm hoping it's not too difficult to hunt down and kill. I guess I need to search for ICV abd throttle body cleaning procedure, etc.

Musictone
10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Nobody in here thinks it has to do with a fuel injector or spark plug?

632 Regal
10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I dont, mine does this anytime it gets cold.

Rus
10-24-2006, 09:35 AM

Low fuel pressure can cause the check engine light at idle and in my case triggered the Lambda Control code. So fuel supply can definitely be an issue. Like others mentioned, check for vacuum leaks. Pull the dip stick out or open the oil cap with the engine running. If you don't notice a change in how it runs, chances are you have a significant vacuum leak somewhere. Hope this helps.

Musictone
10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Does anybody here think that the dinan chip caused this malfunction of my beemer?

DaveVoorhis
10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Does anybody here think that the dinan chip caused this malfunction of my beemer?
I don't. Especially not because (a) the chip worked to begin with, and (b) the problem remained when you re-installed the original chip. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, too. Clean the ICV and inspect the entire intake system for cracks, etc. And, as suggested, check the codes -- that check engine light is trying to tell you something.

Musictone
10-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Ok gentlemen, thanks for all your responses which were very helpful but my mechanic finally found the problem. THE DAMN INTAKE BOOT! it seems it was overtightened and had a hole in it my only problem now is bmw doesnt stock these old parts so here I come ebay. I will post pics as soon as I can make them available.
]

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Off of Ebay.

I think BMA also has them too.

632 Regal
10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
told ya vacume leak! lol.... Try www.bmaparts.com call them or email them, their web site is inconclusive. They ship fast and get 95% of the orders correct the first time.

Musictone
10-27-2006, 11:06 AM
I have a place in brooklyn called S.O.A.P, there pretty good and had the item in stock the funny thing is they also go by the name stynklets which doesnt sound to great but I promise you they carry the same stuff that bav auto carrys ONLY LESS $.

632 Regal
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
thud thud thud....

I promise you they carry the same stuff that bav auto carrys ONLY LESS $.