PDA

View Full Version : Car shipping service?

632 Regal
10-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Anybody have any experience in having a car delivered? Ebay has a link and all but with any options it gets pretty expensive fast. The cheap route is an open car hauler, over a thousand miles like the doesnt make me comfortable. The enclosed option adds 420.00 and having it delivered to my city is an additional 219.00. What if these guys are hacks? Yes insurance is a few hundred more.

any ideas will be helpful.

angrypancake
10-22-2006, 01:24 PM
for all that I'd fly down and drive it to you.

google: auto shipping, there are some good ones that come up.

Fetch
10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
When I couldn't find a car in my area I was looking at a 540i/6 in New York, and was going to fly out and drive it back, overwhelmed with shipping options, and the extra trouble of aranging that. It would have been cheaper!!

Also I wanted to drive it 1000 miles :)

Good luck, I'm sure open would be fine, long as it's not sitting under a car that is leaking brake fluid. :)

gale
10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
I haven't used him but this guy came highly recommended from the old roadflea days:

Donald Fossey
Home 931 788 6659
Cell 931 267 0870

Don't know if his info is current. He lives in Tennessee but delivers all over.

Chris'91'525i
10-22-2006, 07:39 PM
What amount are you getting qouted ?
I wouldn't worry about an open trailer, it's probably safer than driving.

I checked this place an $600 don't sound to bad for door to door delivery. I think these are the correct locations.
It notes it may be cheaper if you contract with them in the next 14 days.
This is the first place I checked out of curiosity.

http://www.dtdtransport.com/

Origination: TEXAS, Houston
Destination: ILLINOIS, Chicago
Type of Car: Car
Charges: $0.00 (Vehicle Cost)
$595.00 (Transportation Cost)
$595.00 Total Cost

632 Regal
10-22-2006, 07:51 PM
yes going rate is about that open carrier door to door. I found a couple places that use enclosed for about 200.00 more which I would prefer much more. Waiting for like 15 quotes tomorrow, hope they all dont call me at work and just email me. Ill check your link too, thanks!

edit: already waiting for their reply on enclosed shipping if available.

What amount are you getting qouted ?
I wouldn't worry about an open trailer, it's probably safer than driving.

I checked this place an $600 don't sound to bad for door to door delivery. I think these are the correct locations.
It notes it may be cheaper if you contract with them in the next 14 days.
This is the first place I checked out of curiosity.

http://www.dtdtransport.com/

Origination: TEXAS, Houston
Destination: ILLINOIS, Chicago
Type of Car: Car
Charges: $0.00 (Vehicle Cost)
$595.00 (Transportation Cost)
$595.00 Total Cost

winfred
10-22-2006, 08:01 PM
id be amazed if it was under a grand when the smoke clears, around 1500 miles about $250 in diesel for a small truck and maybe as much as $750 in diesel for a large tractor if they stick you with the whole fuel ticket (despite having other cars on the truck going to the same general area). id be temped to hook it but i have too much **** going on now for that long trip

uhhh i just had a interesting idea, whats supposed to be wrong with it that's keeping it untripworthy? hooking it to my shop wouldn't be out of the question for some fixing for you to drive it back from btr if you can't find a cheep ride up there it

Dave M
10-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Jeff, for what its worth, I towed my e34 4000km (2500 miles) on an open car trailer behind a uhaul without a problem. I was worried about stne chips etc, but the thing barely even got dirty.

Good luck with your search and hope it gets to you soon.

Dave M

liquidtiger720
10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
http://www.intercitylines.com/Default.cfm?code=bf&bannerID=84

bimmerforums.com sponsor.

zman-95-540i
10-22-2006, 08:12 PM
I agree. Open trailer on top isn't a bad option. I paid $495 to get my car from N. Carolina to Dallas using Dependable Auto Shippers. The biggest risk is having a leaking car over yours. Only real danger with open trailer is hail or other weather issues.

Good luck.

Macv
10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
http://www.momentumtransport.com/

Have shipped many cars to and from here in a closed semi. Very professional and do an extremely great job. When they mention they ship exotics, they weren't lying. When we shipped a restored 1948 Chevy One-ton, they had a brand new Ferrari, and a beautiful 1958 Range Rover

632 Regal
10-22-2006, 09:51 PM
something about a steering pump, not sure as I didnt evaluate it myself. fix her ship her give me a dollar...we go on.

id be amazed if it was under a grand when the smoke clears, around 1500 miles about $250 in diesel for a small truck and maybe as much as $750 in diesel for a large tractor if they stick you with the whole fuel ticket (despite having other cars on the truck going to the same general area). id be temped to hook it but i have too much **** going on now for that long trip

uhhh i just had a interesting idea, whats supposed to be wrong with it that's keeping it untripworthy? hooking it to my shop wouldn't be out of the question for some fixing for you to drive it back from btr if you can't find a cheep ride up there it

Zeuk in Oz
10-22-2006, 10:29 PM
I've got a car trailer you can borrow - shipping to the Staes might be an issue though ! :D

Seriously, get it to Winfred, let him look at what needs doing, and then a road trip is definitely in order.

Also, it will be faster to drive via Gayle's place too, so she can clean the engine for you ! :D

Then across to Vermont and then to Alaska before you head for home !

Want a co-pilot / navigator ?

Springfield1952
10-22-2006, 11:27 PM
I've used Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) twice, once to ship my 530iT from Ohio to California and then to ship a Lexus from Dallas to California for my wife. The BMW was shipped to their depot which for me is about 15 miles away and the Lexus was brought to my door. Both times the service was great, they kept me informed and the vehicles arrived with no problems. I had thought about flying out and driving them back but the cost for fuel, food & motels in addtion to the lost wages and/or time was more then I wanted to pay.

Good luck.

Curt.

31Hertz
10-23-2006, 09:58 AM
http://www.transportreviews.com/

Lots of reading to do...

Alan_525i
10-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I've heard many many good things about Intercity Lines.

I've heard some good things about Dependable.

KenB
10-23-2006, 12:00 PM
A friend of mine just had his DeLorean delivered from Houston to NJ using Passport/Fedex Custom Critical Class Shipping. Highly recommended and would use them again.

14 day avg. travel time door to door in an enclosed covered carrier, insured for $1500

Call John 1-800-325-4267 ext.2304 for a quote or try the website.

http://passport.fedex.com/quote/default.shtml

632 Regal
10-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone!
momentum and nations transport are the same thing, thats the way I went. $1389.00 door to door, enclosed, insured etc etc. Now the real waiting begins...:(

http://www.momentumtransport.com/

Have shipped many cars to and from here in a closed semi. Very professional and do an extremely great job. When they mention they ship exotics, they weren't lying. When we shipped a restored 1948 Chevy One-ton, they had a brand new Ferrari, and a beautiful 1958 Range Rover

31Hertz
10-23-2006, 12:29 PM
man o man o man o man o man o man o man. It's gonna be a tense few days for you. Enclosed is great though. My 635 was shipped on an enclosed trailer, and it was the only car on the trailer; but that did not keep me from biting my nails in anticipation and worry.;)

632 Regal
10-23-2006, 02:43 PM
supposed to be picked up tomorrow, thats fast! Most the places I contacted were at least 3 days.
man o man o man o man o man o man o man. It's gonna be a tense few days for you. Enclosed is great though. My 635 was shipped on an enclosed trailer, and it was the only car on the trailer; but that did not keep me from biting my nails in anticipation and worry.;)

31Hertz
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
That is kind of like what happened to me. I called to schedule, they called back in an hour to say they had a truck there just waiting for a car! I was floored with excitement!!! It was here in 1.5 days!:D

stu1
10-23-2006, 03:50 PM
supposed to be picked up tomorrow, thats fast!

I'd hate to be you - no sleep at all :)

632 Regal
10-23-2006, 04:24 PM
unfortunately they say it will be more like 7-10 days to go from Texas to Michigan.
That is kind of like what happened to me. I called to schedule, they called back in an hour to say they had a truck there just waiting for a car! I was floored with excitement!!! It was here in 1.5 days!:D