PDA

View Full Version : How worried should I be about this touring FS?

brosher
10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
1992 525it, 190k, $2500, black/black. Just called the seller and this is what she told me:

Body good, no rust
Double moonroof but she says she never uses it (ie prob doesnt work)
new cat but it is making noise so she doesn't think it was installed right (?)
new struts and brakes but they didn't install the brake sensor so the light comes on sometimes
new water pump
new tires
she says the shop said it needs a "knocker sensor". something about when she goes over bumps and she though it had to do with the suspension. I'm assuming they told her it needs a knock sensor for the engine.

She obviously has no clue about cars. I will prob go check it out on Sat. Anything set off alarms for anyone? Does this car definitly have the M50, no M20?

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
check for LAD leaks

moon roof is $$$$ to fix

Make sure all the stuff on the hatch works, wiper lights etc.

but $2500 is a good deal even it does needs some love

SnakeyesTx
10-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Man... at 190k, my only concern would be the head/head-gasket. It seems like somewhere between 155-200k miles is where most people have issues with them. I've noticed that they typically crack at around cylinder 3 or 4 near the exhaust side into a coolant passage. I'm not saying that yours is doomed, but don't be suprised if this fails (gasket or head cracking or both).

As for the brake wear sensor... no problem. New pads will be FAT. I was shocked when I took my rear wheels off and saw how thick our rear pads are. My PO really did change them but not the wear sensor. 9 bucks later and problem solved there.

Moon roof... well.. some folks really just don't use them. I wouldn't be suprised if you hear a crackling/suction noise when the moonroof finally breaks free of its 14 year old seal finally. Nothing a little spray lithium grease in the right places (tracks) can't remedy.

Not sure about the cat. Usually its clamped/bolted on, or welded on. Its possible its defective and a piece of its catalyst broke free and is rattling around in there.

Knock sensor... that should measure timing and ignition issues. Whatever she's talking about running over bumps is something completely different. I wonder if she's hearing a clunk or something from a bad ball joint. Maybe you could ask her about this on the test-drive.

There's a really good writeup on bmw-e34.net about "What will break" or "what will go wrong." That's probably a good way to make a checklist for yourself before making a decision.

brosher
10-19-2006, 07:28 PM
but $2500 is a good deal even it does needs some love

Yeh she said right in the ad needs TLC. I was originally looking for a 530it so I could drop a 4.0 in there. Now I am thinking about this and dropping a M3 motor and a 5 speed. :D

So for the head gasket just check for oil in the coolant when it's cold? If it hasn't blown yet I don't have to worry. Just if it ever does, shut down right away.

Blitzkrieg Bob
10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
then the cheaper the better.

SnakeyesTx
10-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Well, in my case there as no oil in the coolant. I took it in for a test where they look for exhaust gases contaminating and pressurizing the cooling system. Usually it takes about 10 minutes or so to get their test stuff to turn yellow indicating exhaust in the system. In my case it turned yellow in about 30 seconds. I saw my head recently that was taken off, the crack is about the same size as the one in the pelican-parts websites "how to change your headgasket" writeup... huge!

stilljester
11-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Hey - I'm pretty sure I just bought this car...Small world

brosher
11-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Cool, ,where are you located? I never ended up going to see it, just didn't have the fundage at the time.

stilljester
11-12-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm over in Troy - Once I get all the small stuff squared away I'm going to give it a 5 speed swap

brosher
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm right up the road on rt. 40. :) What kind of probs does it have?

Denton
11-12-2006, 10:21 PM
LOL, crazy small world! Welcome to .info!

On an unrelated note: NikosX and I were in my E34 driving around down when we spotted a gorgeous E34 530iT, Calypso/Black! HAWT.

We followed it around until the driver came to a stop...pretty sure she was getting nervous. We asked her if it was for sale, and she said "No, I'm sorry, I love my car!".

Sad news but at least it's not getting neglected. There is an Oxford 530iT around town that isn't quite as pristine...may be a good project car.

bigtisas
11-12-2006, 10:22 PM
Man... at 190k, my only concern would be the head/head-gasket. It seems like somewhere between 155-200k miles is where most people have issues with them. I've noticed that they typically crack at around cylinder 3 or 4 near the exhaust side into a coolant passage. I'm not saying that yours is doomed, but don't be suprised if this fails (gasket or head cracking or both).

oh my e34 is at 152k miles and I noticed a little bit oil in the coolant tank. I just changed motor oil. the oil seems to be ok. No water. The car passed smog.

Antrieb
11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
And I'm just 10 minutes away from Brosher. We should have an e34 meet someday!

stilljester
11-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm off rt.40 myself...wow - there's a lot of us close
Car was really dirty - I took all the seat out and cleaned the crap out of it.
Then I removed all the aftermarket alarm and phone non-sense someone installed. Any chance you have an SRS light reset tool? Otherwise I’m going to rebuilding the front end next weekend.

brosher
11-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Cool. Are you talking about the grounding tool for the service reset? I just got one for $20 from http://www.racingking.ca/ cause I didn't have time to make my own. You are welcome to borrow it if needed. I'd like to check out your touring too!

Antrieb
11-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I also have tons of tools if you need to barrow anything, or come up and change your oil if you want.

I live on route 40 just before Greenwich. I go to school in Troy every day though.

stilljester
11-13-2006, 05:06 PM
[QUOTE=Antrieb]I also have tons of tools if you need to barrow anything, or come up and change your oil if you want.QUOTE]

You don't have any Assenmacher Tools do you? Looking for a SRS reset tool...

Antrieb
11-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Nope, don't have that one.