PDA

View Full Version : Going to the junkyard to pull a driveshaft what tools do I need?

bigmuthatrucker
10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I have a 90 525 with a unbalenced drive shaft.. I would like to get it in one trip. What tools willI need? Any help would be great.
thanks
jim

SnakeyesTx
10-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I assume you don't have another vehicle to drive around? You could always just take your driveshaft to a shop and have it balanced on a lathe. I took my shafts from my jeep in every two years or so for about 50 bucks, they'd balance the shaft and replace the u-joints.

bigmuthatrucker
10-19-2006, 07:26 PM
well they are only 20 dollars at the junkyard so even if it isnt balenced. I will have one off the car that I can get balenced if nessary...

Dave M
10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Hmmm, nobody has chimed in yet so i'll give it a go.

First, if you have a bentleys, bring it!!

You'll need at least:

-13mm socket with at least a 6" extension to remove the rear exhaust mounts (if exhaust is present).
-You'll need to wrestle the rubber exhaust hangers off, bring muscles ;)
-Don't know the M20 manifold, but you'll likely need another long extension, possible a swivel to get at the manifold nuts (I believe the M50 was a 15mm).
-Remove the heat shield, easy.
-You'll need a box wrensh (19mm?) and the same socket to remove the guibo to driveshaft bolts. Bring some leverage (breaker bar).
-Now may be the hard part. If the ass end is rusty, you may have trouble with the driveshaft to differential nuts (17mm?). Hopefully not. I would be packing a dremel with some kevlar cutting wheel just in case. Theres quite of few of those.

good luck,

Dave M

ryan roopnarine
10-19-2006, 07:41 PM
i've never seen an e32/e34 or newer bmw in my local junkyard that still had its wheels on it. have you confirmed that it is still up in the air? might be rough :D if it wasn't.

bigmuthatrucker
10-19-2006, 08:33 PM
mine is an M20 there is no guibo on the M20's..... plus all of the front of the exhaust i absent head has been pulled off as well the head removed as well. So I dont have to worry about that either. The rear part of the exhaust is there which shouldnt be hard to remove.. I am more concerned about getting the shaft of itself, As for it being of the ground all the cars there are a good off the ground..

bigmuthatrucker
10-20-2006, 10:39 AM
bump
still lookingfor a list of required tools...

Dave M
10-20-2006, 10:50 AM
No guibo, but the same tools I mentioned above apply. Its just a bunch of nuts and bolts and possibly some rust. Just be prepared with an assortment of sockets, wrenches, leverage and possibly a contingency plan to cut some diff nuts. Pretty simple stuff.

Dave M

ryan roopnarine
10-20-2006, 02:08 PM
dave's list, plus, most importantly, a (or two) high lifting jacks and jackstands! i can't imagine how you'd get clearance under a car (using no ramps) enough to get the breaker bar to swing, but i guess vines, potomac, winfred's people do it all the time.

bigmuthatrucker
10-21-2006, 07:24 AM
they have all cars lifted at the local junkyard.. with enough clearance to remove it..
thanks
fellas