PDA

View Full Version : OT - 1997 VW Cabrio

Scott E
04-13-2004, 09:27 AM
My GF has a 97' Cabrio and the local stealer wants $250 to do a so-called "Tune-Up" which includes plugs, air filter, possible cabin filter and cleaning the injectors. I think I will call BMA and do it myself.

What is of more concern to me is the car has about 80k and there is no record of the timing belt being replaced.

Anyone have any experience with these cars (Bill R) that they would like to share.

Thanks in advanced,

Mr Project
04-13-2004, 09:35 AM
My wife's car is a '95 Jetta with the VR6, and you should be thankful you have the 2.slow when it comes time to buy parts like your plugs and such. (wholesale $5 each for mine!) Another good source for VW parts for me has been Adirondack Auto at:

www.germanautoparts.com

But I love BMA!

At 80k I would probably just change the t-belt, it's not that tough on a 2.0 and not too expensive either, IIRC.

Bill R.
04-13-2004, 10:06 AM
replacement, they just say to inspect it and change if needed...the replacement interval on the newer 2.0 such as 2000 and newer is 105k , since you have the aba motor it should have the thermo tensioner for the belt replaced also at this time.. While tuning it up don't disconnect the battery or you have to have the throttle body adaptation redone with a tool at the dealer...I'm not a big fan of the newer vw's so I don't work on that many to have a lot of info for you... Hopefully you have a bentley's for it already..

My GF has a 97' Cabrio and the local stealer wants $250 to do a so-called "Tune-Up" which includes plugs, air filter, possible cabin filter and cleaning the injectors. I think I will call BMA and do it myself.

What is of more concern to me is the car has about 80k and there is no record of the timing belt being replaced.

Anyone have any experience with these cars (Bill R) that they would like to share.

Thanks in advanced,

Steve N
04-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Working on a VW sucks. It's not well layed out like a BMW. Make sure you have all the tools you need before you start.

r.I'm not a big fan of the newer vw's so I don't work on that many to have a lot of info for you... Hopefully you have a bentley's for it already..

Martin in Bellevue
04-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Working on a VW sucks. It's not well layed out like a BMW. Make sure you have all the tools you need before you start.

Mr Project
04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
I'd rather do the PS hoses on a 540 than the timing chains on my VR6 again. :)

TheGeak
04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
hey, working on my MkII Golf is a BREEZE. Everything is easy to reach and plenty of space to work on it. I don't have any complaints. Of course, i wouldn't touch a new VW to save my life (except a 1.8T MkIV GTi *drools*)

Mr Project
04-13-2004, 01:27 PM
MKII golf, eh? How many heater cores have you replaced so far? :)

All in good fun, the MKII's are a lot easier to work on (and slightly less troublesome) than anything from VW since...

TheGeak
04-13-2004, 01:56 PM
I haven't done any yet, car has 175k miles on it. Now BEFORE i got it, i'm not sure how many it went through, but so far, still blowing heat with the best of them!

Mr Project
04-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Well, good for you. :) Local guy has a '91 M5 and a MKII Golf as well....must be a good combo! :)

sbcncsu
04-13-2004, 02:23 PM
hey, working on my MkII Golf is a BREEZE. Everything is easy to reach and plenty of space to work on it. I don't have any complaints. Of course, i wouldn't touch a new VW to save my life (except a 1.8T MkIV GTi *drools*)

Yes, the 1.8T is drool-worthy BUT, the R32 is Just Awesome: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=8006

Oh for the old days of my Mark I GTI: 90 hp+100 lb-ft+2100 lb=FUN

TheGeak
04-13-2004, 02:53 PM
yes, R32s do rock hard.

Although, the 1.8T converstion into an MkI or MkII makes a MIGHTY fun car!

winfred
04-13-2004, 09:30 PM
and my old 83 rx7 gs, 12a 100hp 100lb' 2300lbs 50/50 weight rear drive, can we say oversteer, i miss that turd

Oh for the old days of my Mark I GTI: 90 hp+100 lb-ft+2100 lb=FUN

Dick Schneiders
04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Is that a MkII? I bought it new and it still runs great, but it doesn't look all that good anymore. It has given me very little trouble and still is fun to drive.

Mr Project
04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah, right there with you on the first gen RX-7s. My '79 is a now just a shell waiting for me to spend some money and build a drivetrain for it. That and my '85 GSL were probably the most fun I've had on 4 wheels. :)

TheGeak
04-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Here we go...

VW Mk series
MkI- '75-'84
MkII- '85-'92
MkIII- '93-99
MkIV- '98-Present
MkV- in production

I'm in the same boat, mine looks like poop but its fun to drive. I need to give it some love once the weather nicens up, but i cant justify spending M5 money on a Golf....

Dick Schneiders
04-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Here we go...

VW Mk series
MkI- '75-'84
MkII- '85-'92
MkIII- '93-99
MkIV- '98-Present
MkV- in production

I'm in the same boat, mine looks like poop but its fun to drive. I need to give it some love once the weather nicens up, but i cant justify spending M5 money on a Golf....

Dick Schneiders
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
is going to get some needed cosmetic help this spring. The headliner is falling down, one bolster on the drivers seat is all ripped up (I love the seats, though), some of the outside rubber trim is missing, the front wheel well treatments are all cloudy white, and the black paint needs some clay bar attention.

I recently put new struts on the car and it now handles and rides almost like new. It is the only manual shift car I own and so it is my choice whenever I want to act like a road racer on the curving country roads. Back before I bought my BMW's I owned a 1973 MGB and a 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster and then the GTI was my city car.

At times I wish I still had all the former cars I owned. Well, perhaps not the 1953 Studebaker coupe.

Here we go...

VW Mk series
MkI- '75-'84
MkII- '85-'92
MkIII- '93-99
MkIV- '98-Present
MkV- in production

Bill R.
04-14-2004, 02:57 PM
is going to get some needed cosmetic help this spring. The headliner is falling down, one bolster on the drivers seat is all ripped up (I love the seats, though), some of the outside rubber trim is missing, the front wheel well treatments are all cloudy white, and the black paint needs some clay bar attention.

I recently put new struts on the car and it now handles and rides almost like new. It is the only manual shift car I own and so it is my choice whenever I want to act like a road racer on the curving country roads. Back before I bought my BMW's I owned a 1973 MGB and a 1970 Datsun 2000 roadster and then the GTI was my city car.

At times I wish I still had all the former cars I owned. Well, perhaps not the 1953 Studebaker coupe.

Dick Schneiders
04-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Even I would have known enough to keep a 1953 Studebaker Starlight coupe, I think.