PDA

View Full Version : How to appreciate your Bimmer

31Hertz
10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
With my job http://www.banditlites.com/ sometimes I must drive a truck between our offices in Knoxville and Nashville. I have been averaging a 4 or 5 trips a month in one of these puppies:
24' box truck. diesel. not sporty.

Anyway, it is so refreshing to get into the Bimmer after driving something that swallows an entire lane of traffic, takes 5 minutes to get to 55, struggles on the slightest incline, takes 4 football fields to stop, and sits you 10' in the air. When I get in the Bimmer it feels like my butt cheeks could scrape the ground. The difference was even greater when I owned my Beetle (read tin-can).

632 Regal
10-19-2006, 05:56 PM
so what do you do? besides getting free tickets of course.

KenB
10-19-2006, 08:53 PM
I know the feeling. I drove one of those when I moved from Indianapolis to Dover, Delaware towing my e30 on a trailer behind it.

I was a bundle of tense muscles by the time I got thru the construction zones and 8 foot wide lanes for miles on the PA Turnpike. I couldn't even see the trailer with my car behind me, could only fell it tugging when I hit bumps. Nerve wracking...I was so glad to get back in it and drive it when we arrived. it was heaven.

I used to travel alot for my job and rented all sorts of new cars, always felt great to get back into my e28 when I got back to the airport to drive home.

The e34 is the best of all.:)

31Hertz
10-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Dammit what button did I hit? I typed all of this once and then it was gone. Dammit! Let's try it again.
I haven't actually gotten free tickets to anything if you can believe it... I have been offered tickets but they were to shows I was uninterested in or did not have time for. My job: Warehouse Manager, Project Manager, sometimes Crew Chief, sometimes Crew Member, Road Case repair guy, load-in/load-out, voice of reason, fix this/fix that, paint this/paint that, janitor, and just whatever else needs to be done. I love the job, but sometimes I am so tired I just want to sleep for days especially after the outdoor summer gigs.

BTW Regal; I loooooove yer 850!!!

Ken; I can't imagine having to tow my car behind one of these bastards.

tdgard
10-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Uh Oh--there's not enough room for another lighting puke on this board. Next time you get to Nashville, poke Steve in the nose for me :)

I yanked a car behind one of those from Colorado City (edit--dumbass meant Colorado Springs) to Atlanta--in the snow--it sucks.

KenB
10-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Talk about appreciating the e34...I drove a friends new MB SUV to take her to the train last week, I thought it would be alot nicer than it was, definitely NOT a driver's vehicle.

I couldn't wait to get back into my 14 year OLD "engineeed for the driver" car...with NO rattles and the best brakes I've ever used. (even with 80k miles on them)

I keep getting tempted to buy something newer, I could pay cash if I really wanted to do it, but I just get back in the e34 until the feeling passes.:D

632 Regal
10-21-2006, 12:58 PM
it wont pass..lol
but I just get back in the e34 until the feeling passes.:D

KenB
10-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Ha, I'm just postponing the inevitable. I almost stopped to look at an e39 while I was out today, I keep thinking I should splurge and buy myself something nice for my birthday.

I kept my '85 e28 until 2003 when I bought the e34, the e28 had over 240k miles on it so I have a bit to go with this one to get there.