PDA

View Full Version : Update on M30 no start. Hint..Does anybody like MSD?

Felixdacat
10-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Well guys I found the problem. Bad ignition coil. I also found out what the funky rattle noise was in the lower front end. Timing chain. Will all be replaced this weekend....WhoooHoooooo. I do have one question.

Does anybody have any Pro's or Con's on MSD Coils for our cars?. Notice I have only ONE coil pack. M30 3.5L I would like to go with a little hotter spark. I put one in My old Honda, and had great results.

Talk soon ............Felix

632 Regal
10-19-2006, 09:40 AM
no need to use anything but the stock coil, you wont find any improvement from the MSD. Is the timing chain loose because of low oil pressure? Dont think its normal for one to "just" be loose.

3rdE34
10-19-2006, 12:02 PM
your lucky man that "funky rattle noise" could have turned into a "funky lot of money" hope you stopped driving it before the weekend replacement, they can cause a hell of a lot of damage....seriously...

hey808
10-19-2006, 12:07 PM
You sure the funky rattling noise isn't the dual-mass flywheel? They tend to make funky noises, especially when you shut the car off. You can determine if it's the flywheel rattling by pushing the clutch in while you shut off the car. Doing this quiets the rattling down a lot.

3rdE34
10-19-2006, 12:26 PM
"pushing the clutch in" wont help...

i think its an auto man.....

the timing chain should be replaced every 100'000'ks and it is one service i sure wouldn't miss...

Felixdacat
10-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Can't use the clutch. I don't have one. I have around 215,000 miles on the car, and I work with the previous owner. Everything is original, except for the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and air filter. You know, common tune-up stuff. The tensioner and guides are worn pretty good on the timing chain, and it looks like the chain for the pump is just wornout.

Felixdacat
10-19-2006, 03:29 PM
no need to use anything but the stock coil, you wont find any improvement from the MSD. Is the timing chain loose because of low oil pressure? Dont think its normal for one to "just" be loose.
Jeff, I will stick with the OEM coil and wires. It just feels loose about 1/2 an inch play. I have however noticed my oil pressure light taking a little longer to go off. I'll double check everything again to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Thanks......Felix