PDA

View Full Version : New front end not quite right

zhandax
10-19-2006, 05:28 AM
I replaced the thrust arms, control arms, tie rods, drag link, idler arm, swaybar links and swaybar bushings, and went straight to the alignment shop. When he finished the alignment the tech told me it pulled a little and the steering wheel was off center a bit and to bring it back when there was more time (it was almost their closing time and I was late for work) and he would tweak it. I did notice on the report they printed that there was .01 toe in difference between sides and I think 1.5 differnce in camber. I took it back the next Saturday and the guy spent at least an hour trying to get it right. The steering wheel is centered but the car sometimes steers straight, sometimes pulls to the right and sometimes pulls to the left. It seems like it pulls whichever direction is downhill. This is the best I can describe it. It is not too bad, but it doesn't seem quite right. I have to noticeably correct the steering if there is a fair bit of slope to the road. Is this normal and if not, what could cause it?

632 Regal
10-19-2006, 09:43 AM
mine is pretty much the same way when it comes to road angles. Did you check the nut behind the wheel? Mine was real loose, about an inch of steering wheel slop before I tightened it up. There could also be slop in the steering box. Both of these things can add to the problem.

Russell
10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Rear steering? Possible that a rear suspensiion component is worn? Mine does this to a certian extent. Seems variable or comes and goes to some extent. I suspect rear sub frame bushings.

zhandax
10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
I have not addressed the nut behind the wheel (on either end of the steering column) yet. On the E28, I replaced the rear subframe bushings when I got 'the clunk'. It was about 200K miles. E34s may need it before? Guess I will tighten the nut on the floor end of the steering column this weekend.

632 Regal
10-19-2006, 04:00 PM
any play will cause these cars to wander.

I have not addressed the nut behind the wheel (on either end of the steering column) yet. On the E28, I replaced the rear subframe bushings when I got 'the clunk'. It was about 200K miles. E34s may need it before? Guess I will tighten the nut on the floor end of the steering column this weekend.

tim s
10-19-2006, 04:48 PM
tim s.

BillionPa
10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
my steering box is total trash, luckily im used to it.

did you replace the rear dog bones when you did the subframe?

make sure the tires all have the same pressure.

zhandax
01-20-2007, 06:00 AM
OK, I finally got the time to tighten the nut behind the wheel last night and that seems to have corrected this. Thanks, Jeff. Funny thing is, I cranked it down tight and I can still operate the power telescope function. And I jammed the wrench on the footrest and turned the steering wheel so I put at least 10 ft.lbs on it.