PDA

View Full Version : Hi beam not working. Known good LKM.

Gene in NC
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi beam head lights not working. Known good LKM. No power to fuse #13/14 or lights.

Have twin '89 525s. Swapped LKM and Crash Control. Components control headlights in one car but not in the problem car. Prob car 12/88 date and "good" car 4/89.

Low beams OK. Hi beam indicator light but no hi beams. No highs on flash. Have Bentley and meter but can't find test points to diagnose problem.

DaveVoorhis
10-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Get your wiring diagrams here: http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/

Javier
10-19-2006, 06:03 AM
you have permanent Power Voltage (about 12 volts) in LKM socket corresponding to pin 2 (guess you do otherwise no low beams). Also check you have 12 volts at socket to pin 1 when you turn on High Beams. If so, and still no power to fuses F13 and F14, then it is either LKM or a bad wiring connection from LKM socket corresponding to pin 20 and fuses F13 & F14, just check with a continuity meter (Ohm reading to zero) between socket pin 20 to either side of fuses F13 and F14. Should be opened if no power there when high bean lights are on (blue indicator on).

See attached LKM socket view.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=886&stc=1&d=1109964604

Javier

E30Bimmer
10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Just a little bit of my own input, I don't know if this relates completely. I know on the E34 that if there are no bulbs in the High beam socket, that the fogs will not operate what so ever. I'm retty sure the LKM requires the circuit to be be closed by the high beam bulb. Thats what allows for the fogs to come on. I Don't know if that has any influence on why your highs aren't working.

Gene in NC
10-26-2006, 01:37 PM
re Javier's post: 12v at pin#2 for low beams OK. No power at pin#1 for hi beam on (hi beam indicator on cluster panel lighted).

LKM sockets powered correctly on twin '89 525 with working hi beams.

Javier
11-18-2006, 07:27 PM
If power to Blue indicator and not to Pin 1 at LKM, then the Crash Control Module is opened (or the wiring to/from it).

See picture.

Javier

Gene in NC
11-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Hooray for Javier! Thanks for help.

Crash Control Module (pn 384732) was bad. Original flashed hi beams, blew horn and maybe more. Long time since the wreck. Ran over GM torque converter from another wreck.

Replacement/current pn (364691) , that I swapped in from the 525 twin, is function/cost reduced as indicated by pin count. Assume only hi beam flashing.

Nothing about impact/crash action by lights etc in the owne's amnual that I can find.

Bentley- "Crash Control Module"
Realoem - "Crash Alarm Relay"

Eric540i
11-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Where is the Crash Control Module located?

Is it the module that sits parallel to the LKM? It's labelled CCM but I thought this an acronym for Check Control Module.

What does the Crash Control Module do?

Javier
11-19-2006, 07:18 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpost.php?p=217825&postcount=11

If my memory serves me well, it pops up locks, and flashes High Beams and hazard lights.

Javier

Gene in NC
11-19-2006, 07:45 PM
It is in line with and to the right/rear of CCM. The impact sensor is in another location.

See Dave Voorhis post in this thread re e34 electrical diagrams, component locations etc.

Might blow horn too. Don't remember everthing but Javier is certainly right about that list.

Hell of a mess when you drive into the wreck scene in dark and rain. Come to think of it, cop was already there. Why didn't they stop the traffic or kick the torque converter out of the road? Guess they were focused on the truck that they had been chasing and the runner who was trying to get away.